Nursing, School of Health Sciences
Annette Ray is an Instructor for USD Nursing. In this role her passion for nursing education is obvious through her student interaction, curriculum involvement, and her many collaborative community activities. Annette’s enthusiasm for curriculum has led her to hold several leadership positions such as ASN Curriculum Chair, Program Course Coordinator for NUR 260 and NUR 286, Curriculum Design Team member, and chair of subcommittees. Annette has been instrumental in mentoring faculty through adoption for the new concept base curriculum USD implemented in the fall of 2010. She was also instrumental in guiding USD Nursing through the implementation of simulation as a clinical component. She continues to research and seek out simulation opportunities for USD nursing and mentor faculty through her role as a Simulation Champion.
Reproduction, medical surgical concepts, curriculum design and evaluation, and simulation
Native American health care values and beliefs, curriculum design and evaluation, simulation, innovative clinical issues, and patient safety.
- MS, Nursing, University of Phoenix, 2006
- BS, Nursing, South Dakota State University, 1995
- Technology Grant, USD Health Affairs Medical Informatics Committee, (2013)
- Ray, A., Hunsley, A., Koenecke, L., Feller, L., (2008), Low-fidelity simulation: Care of the post-CABG patient. QSEN.org.
- Feller, L., Hunsley, A., Ray, A., Lucia, S. M., (2005), Rural South Dakota: The power of education and care delivery partnership, Home Healthcare Management and Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 40-43.
Awards and Honors:
- USD Nurisng Excellence In Service, USD Nursing, 2011
- Ray, A., Jones, A. L. (2013, May). Simulation Debriefing Strategies. Presented at the May 2013 SW Simulation Faculty Development, Sioux Falls USD Nursing site.
- Johnson, H., Warren, D., Ray, A., Kraft, A. (2012, October). Simulation Development Utilizing a User-Friendly Template. Presented at the CAE Healthcare's Simulation in Rural America, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Dieter, C., Johnson, H., Kraft, A., Luken, R., Feller, L., Ray, A., Warren, D. (2012, April). The Use of Simulation to Develop Interprofessional Collaboration and Communication. Presented at the Research Conference, Lee Medical Building, Vermillion.
- Dieter, C., Feller, L., Kleinhesselink, A., Johnson, H., Luken, R., Ray, A., Warren, D. (2012, April). The Use of Simulation to Develop Interprofessional Collaboration & Communication. Presented at the School of Health Sciences Research Conference, Vermillion, SD.
- Ray, A., Trapp, P., Varty, G., Gadd, R., Case, S., Harrowa, T. (2010, October). Istan Demonstration. Presented at the Scrub Camp, Pierre, SD.
- Ray, A., Hunsley, A., Varty, G. (2010, March). Building Innovative Quality Patient-Centered Care with Simulation. Presented at the Simulation in Healthcare: Where No One has Gone Before, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Koenecke, L., Hunsley, A., Ray, A. (2010, March). Innovative Simulation Strategies in a Rural Setting. Presented at the Simulation in Healthcare: Where No One has Gone Before, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Hunsley, A., Ray, A. (2007, July). Promoting Health Through Mutually Valuable Partnerships. Presented at the International Nurse Educators Conference in the Rockies, Breckenridge, Colorado.