Nursing, School of Health Sciences
Sanford Education Center 116
As a nurse educator for over 20 years, Ms. Evenson has experience teaching in AD, BSN, and BSN completion nursing programs. Clinical background includes medical surgical areas such as pulmonary and renal, and experience in the areas of pediatric home care and community nursing.
Medical Surgical Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Pharmacology in Nursing, and Community Health Nursing.
Learning Styles, Learner Center Education, Concept Based Curriculum, and Pediatric Nursing Care
- MSN, Nursing, University of Missouri, 1991
- BA, Nursing & Religion, Augustana College, 1979
- Gierach, M., Evenson, C., (2010), Clinical Reasoning in the Classroom: A Triage Simulation, Nurse Educator, vol. 35, iss. 6, pp. 228-230. (DOI: DOI: 10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181f7e806)
- Dangel, J., Evenson, C., Gierach, M., Johnson, K., , (2005), How a Nursing Program Strengthens Community Ties by Providing Health Teaching to Head Start Participants, Home Health Care Management & Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 33-39.
- Evenson, C., Gierach, M., Dreke, C., Dangel, J., (2005), Nursing Program Partners with Community to Implement Neighborhood Influenza Immunization Clinics, Home Health Care Management & Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 15-19.
- Evenson, C., (2004), Community Partnerships provide Service Learning, South Dakota Nurse.
Awards and Honors:
- Faculty Recognition, USD Health Sciences, 2012
- Excellence in Teaching Departmental Award, University of South Dakota, Nursing, 2010
- NEDDS Faculty Fellow, Nursing Education Deans & Directors, 2009
- Nurse Educator of the Year Award Nomination, South Dakota Nurses Association, 2009
- Belbas-Larson Award for Teachin Excellence Nomination, University of South Dakota, 2007
- NCLEX-RN Test Item Writer, National Council State Board of Nursing Testing Center, Chicago, IL, 2006
- National League for Nursing Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination, National League for Nursing, 2005
- Special Award of Merit for E-Learning Excellence, South Dakota Board of Regents, 2003
- Honored for significant contributions to the establishment of UMKC chapter, Lamda Phi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1991
- Graduation with Academic Honors, University of Missouri, Kansas City, 1991
- Graduation with Academic Honors, Augustana College, 1979
- Gierach, M., Evenson, C. (2009, June). Assessing Student Learning Styles. Presented at the NEDDS 7th Annual Statewide Nursing Faculty Retreat, Mitchell, SD.
- Evenson, C. (2009, February). Innovations in Mobile Computing. Presented at the University Dialogue, Vermillion, SD.
- Evenson, C., Gierach, M. (2008, September). Building Student Success: Do You Have the Tools?. Presented at the Nursing National Education Summit, San Antonio, Texas.
- Gierach, M., Evenson, C. (2007, November). Evidence Based Fact Sheets: Nursing Students Supporting Staff. Presented at the 21 Years of N-OADN: A Sure Bet!, Las Vegas.
- Evenson, C. (2007, February). Evidence Based Fact Sheets: Nursing Students Supporting Staff. Presented at the Boot Camp for Nurse Educators, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Evenson, C., Gierach, M. (2006, November). Building Motivation: Do you have the Tools?. Presented at the Motivating Student for Better Retention, Learning, and Achievement, Bloomington, MN.
- Evenson, C., Benedict, L. (2006, September). Tablet PC: Electronic Etch-A-Sketch or Essential Educational Tool?. Presented at the Nursing Education Summit: Transformation Begins with You, New York City.