School of Health Sciences: Nursing, Health Affairs
Sanford Education Center
Michelle Gierach has been teaching at the University of South Dakota since 2003. Instructing in both the online and classroom environment has provided her with a variety of experience in different educational delivery modalities. Her clinical expertise is in Maternal Child Nursing and she has a strong passion for working with students in the community setting. Ms. Gierach supervises a free nursing clinic at the Union Gospel Mission in Sioux Falls where students spend time working with under privileged clients. She is currently pursuing an EdD in Adult and Higher Education at The University of South Dakota. Her anticipated date of completion is the spring of 2014.
Maternal-Child Nursing; Research & Evidence-Based Practice; Community and Public Health
Interprofessional Education; Learning Styles; Attitudes Toward Poverty
- EdD in Adult and Higher Education , The University of South Dakota, 2014
- MS, Nursing Education, University of Phoenix, 2006
- BS, Nursing, Bethel University, 1998
- Gierach, M., Evenson, C., (2010), Clinical Reasoning in the Classroom: A Triage Simulation, Nurse Educator, vol. 35, iss. 6, pp. 228-230.
- Dangel, J., Evenson, C., Gierach, M., Johnson, K., , (2005), How a Nursing Program Strengthens Community Ties by Providing Health Teaching to Head Start Participants, Home Health Care Management & Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 33-39.
- Evenson, C., Gierach, M., Dreke, C., Dangel, J., (2005), Nursing Program Partners with Community to Implement Neighborhood Influenza Immunization Clinics, Home Health Care Management & Practice, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 15-19.
Awards and Honors:
- Excellence in Service Award 2010, University of South Dakota, 2010
- Air Force Achievement Medal, United States Air Force, 2003
- National Defense Service Medal, United States Air Force, 2003
- Air Force Longevity Service Award, United States Air Force, 2000
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, United States Air Force, 2000
- Air Foce Training Ribbon, United States Air Force, 1998
- Gierach, M. (2013, April). Interprofessional Education. Presented at the 2nd Annual School of Health Sciences Research Conference, Vermillion.
- Mulder, C., Gierach, M. (2009, July). Innovative Approaches to Learning in the Online and Traditional Classroom. Presented at the Nineteenth Annual Nurse Educators Conference in the Rockies , Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Gierach, M., Evenson, C. (2009, June). Assessing Student Learning Styles. Presented at the NEDDS 7th Annual Statewide Nursing Faculty Retreat, Mitchell, SD.
- Mulder, C., Gierach, M. (2008, November). Transforming Circles into Squares: Utilizing Innovation to Reshape Nursing Education. Presented at the Clinical Education Redesign: Simulations, Innovations & Partnerships, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Evenson, C., Gierach, M. (2008, September). Building Student Success: Do You Have the Tools?. Presented at the Nursing National Education Summit, San Antonio, Texas.
- Mulder, C., Gierach, M. (2008, July). Innovative Approaches to Learning in the Online and Traditional Classroom. Presented at the International Nurse Educators Conference in the Rockies , Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Gierach, M., Evenson, C. (2007, November). Evidence Based Fact Sheets: Nursing Students Supporting Staff. Presented at the 21 Years of N-OADN: A Sure Bet!, Las Vegas.
- Evenson, C., Gierach, M. (2006, November). Building Motivation: Do you have the Tools?. Presented at the Motivating Student for Better Retention, Learning, and Achievement, Bloomington, MN.