- Early application deadline is Oct. 2, 2017 to be considered for an early interview on Nov. 16, 2017.
- General admission deadline is Jan. 2, 2018 to be considered for an interview either Feb. 21 or 22, 2018.
- Applications must be received by Jan. 2, 2018.
OTCAS Web-Based Application
Create an account with the Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service (OTCAS).
All official transcripts should be sent directly to OTCAS:
Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service
P.O. Box 9120
Watertown, MA 02471
OTCAS must receive the application, references and transcripts by the above deadline date. Once your application is complete, OTCAS will verify your documents before releasing them to USD. We cannot access unverified applications. Applicants should confirm their status as verified with OTCAS.
OTCAS does not accept paper references. Letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the OTCAS system.
USD Graduate School Application and Fee
In addition to the OTCAS online application, all applicants are required to apply to the USD Graduate School and pay a $35 application fee. You must submit the application and fee by Jan. 3, 2017, but we recommend submission at the same time as the OTCAS application. This will ensure the application moves forward in the review process.
You do not need to resubmit a transcript, letter of references or other supporting documentation along with your Graduate School application. We will provide these to the Graduate School once we receive your OTCAS application.
We require that the following prerequisite coursework be completed prior to entering the program:
- A minimum of seven of the nine prerequisite courses must be complete prior to application
- Minimum cumulative, prerequisite, and science prerequisite GPAs of 3.0 (as calculated by OTCAS) based on a 4.0 scale are required.
- Grades below a "C" in prerequisite coursework will not be accepted.
- When calculating prerequisite and science prerequisite GPA: if a course has been taken twice, the highest grade will be applied to the GPA; if taken more than twice, the average will be calculated and applied to the GPA.
- All prerequisites must be completed by June 1 prior to entrance.
- All prerequisites must be taken within 10 years of the program start date.
- Required completion no later than June 1 of the year of admission.
- No preference is given to any specific major.
- Acceptance of Advanced Placement (AP) courses will be considered by the admissions committee. A minimum score of 4/5 must be met for any prerequisite coursework. A syllabus and score report must be sent to us to verify qualification of AP coursework. These documents can be submitted directly to email@example.com or mail Attn: Rita Humphrey at the address listed on the bottom of this page. Credit must appear on the official college transcript and be equivalent to the appropriate college-level coursework in order to be considered.
- CLEP credits will be considered by the admissions committee on a case-by-case basis.
- Pass/Fail coursework will not be accepted in fulfillment of prerequisite requirements with the exception of Medical Terminology.
The GRE is a required component of the application. Plan to take the GRE well in advance of submitting your application so that the scores are received prior to the application deadline.
- OTCAS is now accepting GRE scores. Report unofficial scores on the OTCAS application and have official scores sent to OTCAS using code 1216.
- Either the GRE General Test or the GRE Revised General Test will be accepted.
- Recommended GRE scores: 40th percentile rank Verbal and 45th percentile rank Quantitative, and a minimum writing score of 4.0 (on either the General Test or the Revised General Test).
- GRE scores may not be more than five years old
A personal interview is a required step of the application process to our program. Invitations to interview will be offered to select applicants based on review of the written application materials.
2017-2018 Interview Dates
- Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017 (early)
- Wednesday, Feb. 21 - Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018 (general)
Early Admission Requirements
To be considered for an early interview the following criteria must be met:
- Minimum cumulative and prerequisite GPA of 3.5 (as calculated by OTCAS) based on a 4.0 scale
- Minimum science prerequisite GPA of 3.2 (as calculated by OTCAS) based on a 4.0 scale
- No grade below "B-" in prerequisite coursework
- Six of nine prerequisites completed
Two of the following three criteria must also be met:
- Minimum GRE percentile of 40 for verbal on the revised General Test
- Minimum GRE percentile of 45 for quantitative on the revised General Test
- Minimum GRE analytical writing score of 4.0
Upon provisional acceptance to the occupational therapy program, you will be asked to pay a $200 seat deposit, submit and pay for a criminal background check (approximately $100) and attest, in writing, that you are able to perform the tasks outlined in the Essential Functions document.
General questions about your application or application status may be directed to Rita.Humphrey@usd.edu or 605-658-6356.
For specific questions concerning prerequisite courses or decision processes, contact Shana.Cerny@usd.edu or 605-658-6376.