Barb Brockevelt, PhD, MA, OTR/L, FAOTA, Chair
Occupational Therapy, School of Health Sciences
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 302B
Dr. Brockevelt is Chair and Professor of Occupational Therapy. She has over 30 years of experience as an occupational therapist and 20 years as an educator/scholar. Dr. Brockevelt was instrumental in developing the occupational therapy program at USD and in securing licensure for the practice of occupational therapy in SD. In 2013 she was named to the American Occupational Therapy Roster of Fellows.
Child development; kinesiology and biomechanical foundations of occupation; healthcare leadership and management; qualitative research
Child & Infant Mental Health, Sensory Function in Children, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Ph D, Occupational Therapy, Nova Southeastern University, 2006
- MA, Anatomy & Structural Biology, The University of South Dakota, 1999
- BA, Occupational Therapy, The College of St. Catherine, 1979
- Determinants of Care & Life Quality in American Indian Women with Cervical Cancer, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities of the National Institutes of Health under award number U54MD008164 (by Elliott) , (2014 - 2015)
- Smart Home Technology Facilitates Telehealth & Independence, USD Governor's Technology Funds, (2012 - 2013)
- Developing Competency in Telehealth Technology, The University of South Dakota , (2011 - 2012)
- Brockevelt, B., (2013), A comparison of the Sensory Profile scores of children with autism and an age-and gender-matched sample, South Dakota Medicine, vol. 66, iss. 11, pp. 459; 461; 463-465.
- Seefeldt, T., Mort, J., Brockevelt, B., Giger, J. T., Jordre, B., Lawler, M. J., Nilson, W., Svien, L., , (2012), A Pilot Study of Interprofessional Case Discussions for Health Professions Students Using the Virtual World Second Life., Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, vol. 4, pp. 224-231.
- Cross, A., Brockevelt, B., Kruisselbrink, A. R., Triplett, A. S., Flett, J. M., The effectiveness of Dynavision training to improve visual motor skills of collegiate athletes: A pilot study, Gazetta Medica Italiana Archivio Per Le Sienze Mediche.
- Brockevelt, B., Brydl-Andrews, H., (2011), Occupational Therapy Student Perceptions of Concept Mapping as a Learning Tool, American Occupational Therapy Association, pp. 1-4.
- Brockevelt, B., (2006), Enabling participation: Perspectives of Adolescents with Visual Impairment and Their Families, World Federation of Occupational Therapists.
- Brockevelt, B., (2002), Promoting Pediatric Wellness: A Community Service Learning Experience., World Federation of Occupational Therapists.
- Barnett, D., Brockevelt, B., (1988), Guidelines for Provision of Physical and Occupational Therapy in Educational Settings. Pierre, SD: South Dakota ., South Dakota Division of Education, Section for Special Education..
- Brockevelt, B., Morey, J., Stuart, S., (1985), Feeding and Swallowing: Normal Development, Assessment & Treatment., Center for Disabilities.
Awards and Honors:
- Roster of Fellows, American Occupational Therapy Association, 2013
- Service Award, Delta Gamma Center, 2008
- AOTA/AOTF Leadership Fellowship, AOTA & AOTF, 2008
- Service Award, American Occupational Therapy Association, 2003
- Nominated, Belbas-Larson Award for Teaching, The University of South Dakota, 2002
- Wesley W. Parke Research Endowment, USD Anatomy, 1995
- Wesley W. Parke Research Endowment, USD Anatomy, 1994
- American Occupational Therapy Foundation Scholarship, American Occupational Therapy Foundation, 1991
- Service Award, American Occupational Therapy Association, 1989
- Service Award, South Dakota Occupational Therapy Association, 1988