Dr. Svien has practiced as a physical therapist since 1975 and a physical therapy an educator/scholar since 1985. Holding faculty positions previously at Georgetown University and currently at The University of South Dakota since 1989, she has participated in the education of USD physical therapy students since the inception of the program. Dr. Svien has been the program director for the past 16 years. she maintains a physical therapy practice on rural reservations in South Dakota, providing pediatric physical therapy services.
Pediatrics, Primary Health Care, Patient/Client Education, Health Promotion
Minority and Rural Health, Pediatric Outcomes, Public Health
- Ph D, Medical Science Interdepartmental Area, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2002
- MA, Anatomy, The University of South Dakota, 1983
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of Wisconsin, 1975
- Americorp Campus Contract to Improve Health Care in Medically Underserved Areas, Americorp, (2011 - 2012)
- Svien, L., This is Why, PT Magazine.
- Seefeldt, T., Mort, J., Brockevelt, B., Giger, J. T., Jordre, B., Lawler, M. J., Nilson, W., Svien, L., , (2012), A Pilot Study of Interprofessional Case Discussions for Health Professions Students Using the Virtual World Second Life., Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, vol. 4, pp. 224-231.
- Svien, L., Senne, S. A., Rasmussen, C., (2010), South Dakota accidental deaths, 2000-2007: what can we do? , South Dakota Medicine, vol. 63, iss. 5, pp. 163-173.
- Berg, P., Smallfield, S., Svien, L., (2010), An investigation of depression and fatigue post West Nile Virus infection, South Dakota Medicine, iss. April 2010, pp. 127-133.
- Svien, L., Berg, P., Stephenson, C., (2008), Issues in Aging with Cerebral Palsy, Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, vol. 24, iss. 1, pp. 27-41.
- Svien, L., Demuth, S. K., Dole, R. L., , (2006), A Compendium for Teaching Professional Level Physical Therapy Pediatric Content, American Physical Therapy Association Section on Pediatrics, p. 125.
Awards and Honors:
- Lana Svien Visionary Award, Department of Physical Therapy, 2011
- Dream Catcher Award, The University of South Dakota, 2011
- The Dr. Ronnie Leavitt Award for Leadership in the Promotion of Social Responsibility in Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association, 2011
- Fulbright Specialist Scholar, Catolica University, Valparaiso Chile, 2010
- Fulbright Specialist Scholar, Fulbright Program, US Department of State, 2009
- SDPTA Physical Therapist of the Year, South Dakota Physical Therapy Association, 2008
- Distinguished Service , Center for Disabilities SSOM, 2006
- Jeanne Hughes Award, American Physical Therapy Association, 2006
- SDPTA Hall of Fame Contrubutor of the Year, South Dakota Physical Therapy Association, 2003