School of Health Sciences: Physical Therapy, Health Affairs
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 315
Patrick Cross, PT, DPT, EMT-B, RHF has been a faculty member in the Department of Physical Therapy at The University of South Dakota since 2006, and currently serves as the Director of their Transitional DPT Program.
Physical agents and therapeutic modalities, professional conduct and ethics, health care systems, billing and reimbursement, business management, rural health, clinical education, musculoskeletal physical therapy, sports physical therapy, community-based physical therapy, service learning, emergency medical response.
Prevention and wellness, rural health
- Rural Health Fellow, Rural Health Leadership and Advocacy, National Rural Health Association, 2011
- EMT-B, Western Iowa Technical Community College, 2008
- DPT, Physical Therapy, Creighton University, 2002
- BS, Exercise Science: Pre-Physical Therapy, Truman State University, 1999
- Cardiovascular Screening of Native American Athletes, University of South Dakota's School of Health Sciences, (2013 - 2014)
- Living Well at Home: demonstration project intended to expand community injury prevention activities , Aberdeen Area Indian Health Services/ Health and Human Services, (2012 - 2013)
- Healthy Athletes, Special Olympics International, (2012)
- School of Health Sciences Cultural Competence Symposium, Bush Grant for Invited Speakers through The University of South Dakota, (2009)
- Healthy Athletes/ FUNfitness Start-Up Grant, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Lions Clubs International Foundation, (2009 - 2009)
- USD Investment Travel Grant, The Office of Research at the University of South Dakota, (2007)
- Cross, P., Beebe, J., Ernest, B. N., Arthur-Sinar, S., (2013), Access to outpatient physical therapy services for community-dwelling older adults in rural Western Nebraska, Physical Therapy Journal of Policy, Administration, and Leadership, vol. 13, iss. 2, pp. 1-9.
- Beebe, J., Cross, P., Patellar Tendinopathy: Preliminary Surgical Results.
- Hemingson, D., Shim, A. L., Choi, H., Cross, P., (2012), Health and Wellness Students’ Perception of Exercise Science Professors’ Intelligence, Based on Sheldon’s Body Types, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 23, iss. 6.
- Cross, P., Beebe, J., Ernest, B., Arthur-Sinar, S., Access to outpatient physical therapy services for community-dwelling older adults in rural Western Nebraska, Physical Therapy Journal of Policy, Administration, and Leadership.
- Cross, P., Karges, J., Horkey, M. A., Kolb, G. A., Alexander, K. L., Knippling, A. L., Jacobsen, J. A., (2012), Management of acute sports injuries and medical conditions by South Dakota high school head coaches: assessment via case scenarios, South Dakota Medicine, vol. 65, iss. 3, pp. 97-99, 101-105, 107.
- Cross, P., Shim, A. L., Hauer, P., (2011), Assessing Various Body Composition Measurements as an Appropriate Tool for Estimating Body Fat in Division 1 Female Collegiate Athletes. , Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 23, iss. 6.
- Cross, P., Karges, J., Salsbery, M. A., Smith, D., Stanley, E. J., (2011), Management of acute sports injuries and medical conditions by physical therapists: assessment via case scenarios, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 6, iss. 3, pp. 158-172.
- Cross, P., Bennett-Barnes , E., (2011), Alleviating health disparities: how the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will affect health disparities in minority, racial, and rural populations, National Rural Health Association’s Board of Trustees and Rural Health Congress.
- Cross, P., Karges, J., Adamson, A. J., Arnold, M. R., Meier, C. M., Hood, J. E., (2010), Assessing the need for knowledge on injury management among high school athletic coaches in South Dakota, South Dakota Medicine, vol. 63, iss. 7, pp. 241-245.
- Cross, P., Berg, P., Walsh, M., Kelly, J., Parker, D., Beebe, J., Jacobson, J., (2009), A cooperative school- and community-based intervention to promote diabetes awareness and prevention behaviors among youths in an American Indian community, IHS Primary Care Provider, vol. 34, iss. 10, pp. 284-291.
- Cross, P., Voltz, J. D., (2009), Developing health professional students into rural health care leaders of the future through best practices , Jones and Bartlett, pp. 281-295.
- Cochran, T. M., Cross, P., (2006), American Indian culture, F.A. Davis, pp. 238-259.
Awards and Honors:
- Nominated for American Physical Therapy Association’s Sports Physical Therapy Section’s Excellence in Education Award, American Physical Therapy Association’s Sports Physical Therapy Section, 2012
- Alumnus Award, University of South Dakota Sorority and Fraternity Life, 2012
- Nominated for the APTA’s Margaret Moore Award for Outstanding New Academic Faculty Member, American Physical Therapy Association, 2011
- “Always There” Alumni Award, Gamma Alpha Chapter of Beta Theta Pi , 2011
- Outstanding Advisor of the Year, University of South Dakota, 2011
- The Robert Star Service Award, Gamma Alpha Chapter of Beta Theta Pi, 2010
- Dakota Oyate Service and Leadership Award, Dakota Oyate Board, 2009
- Umonhon Nation Education Association’s Friend of Education Award, Umonhon Nation Education Association, 2008
- Nominated for South Dakota Physical Therapy Association’s Genesis Award, South Dakota Physical Therapy Assocation, 2007
- Zeta –Xi Chapter of Beta Theta Pi Outstanding Personal Achievement Alumni Award, Zeta-Xi Chapter of Beta Theta Pi, 2007