School of Health Sciences: Physical Therapy, Health Affairs
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 312
I have been a physical therapist since 1988 and have taught at USD since 1998. I teach numerous courses both in the traditional DPT program and the transitional DPT program. I am actively involved with research and I continue to keep my clinical skills up-to-date in order to share current clinically-relevant and research-related information in the courses I teach.
Pathophysiology, Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Physical Therapy, Differential Diagnosis, Gait, Orthotics & Prosthetics, and the ankle section of Musculoskeletal III. I also assist in teaching an American red Cross First Responder course to our students and clinicians.
Cardiovascular, pulmonary and sports-related research. Much of the research has a rural under-served component to it.
- EDD, Educational Administration, University of South Dakota, 2002
- MS, Physical Therapy, University of Indianapolis, 1996
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 1988
- Cardiovascular Screening of Native American Athletes, University of South Dakota's School of Health Sciences, (2013 - 2014)
- Karges, J., Cross, P., Hauer, P., Blom, H., Burcham, J., Myers, A. K., Grimsrud, C., (2013), Effectiveness of the Emergency Response Course in improving physical therapists’ and student physical therapists’ decision-making related to acute sports injuries and medical conditions., International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 8, iss. 3, pp. 277-289.
- Cross, P., Shim, A. L., Hauer, P., (2011), Assessing Various Body Composition Measurements as an Appropriate Tool for Estimating Body Fat in Division 1 Female Collegiate Athletes. , Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 23, iss. 6.
- Hauer, P., (2010), Systemic Effects of Methamphetamine Use, South Dakota Medicine, pp. 285-287.