Physical Therapy, School of Health Sciences
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 311
I have worked in a variety of work settings related to physical therapy. Work settings include hospitals, nursing homes, home care, private practice and academia.
Therapeutic exercise, musculoskeletal physical therapy, differential diagnosis
therapeutic exercise, EMG analysis of muscle function, and ultrasound imaging of musculoskeletal structures
- Doctor of Science, Orthopedic Physical Therapy, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, 2001
- MS, Anatomy, University of Minnesota, 1977
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of North Dakota, 1970
- Use of video eyewear to promote self-awareness and reflective perspective-taking following patient care learning scenarios, USD Health Affairs Medical Informatics Committee, (2015)
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., Exercises for the Trunk, Shoulder, Hip, and Knee: Electromyographic Evidence, Churchill Livingstone, iss. 4, pp. 673-702.
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., (2012), Electromyographic normalization procedures for determining exercise intensity of closed chain exercises for the quadriceps femoris muscles, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, vol. 26, iss. 3, pp. 766-771. (DOI: March, 2012)
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., (2012), Measurement of Supraspinatus Muscle Contraction Using Ultrasound Imaging, Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 42, iss. 1, p. A8.
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., (2011), Muscle Length Testing and Electromyographic Evidence for Manual Strength Testing and Exercises for the Shoulder, Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, iss. 5th, pp. 329-349.
Awards and Honors:
- Hall of Fame Contributor Award , South Dakota Physical Therapy Association, 2003