Physical Therapy, School of Health Sciences
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 317
Born in South Dakota. Educated in South Dakota (BS), North Dakota (MS, DPT) and Nebraska (MS). Spent 20 years on active duty in the US Army. I have been a physical therapist for over 30 years. I have worked at the University of South Dakota since 1997.
Musculoskeletal physical therapy and Anatomy.
Various aspects of shoulder and knee function/dysfunction in humans
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT), Physical Therapy, University of North Dakota, 2007
- MS, Anatomy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 1991
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of North Dakota, 1977
- BS, Zoology, South Dakota State University, 1971
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., Exercises for the Trunk, Shoulder, Hip, and Knee: Electromyographic Evidence, Churchill Livingstone, iss. 4, pp. 673-702.
- Ferley, D. D., Osborn, R., Vukovich, M. D., The Effects of Uphill vs Level-Grade High-Intensity Interval Training on VO2max, VMax, VLT and TMax in Well-Trained Distance Runners, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research.
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., (2012), Electromyographic normalization procedures for determining exercise intensity of closed chain exercises for the quadriceps femoris muscles, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, vol. 26, iss. 3, pp. 766-771.
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., (2012), Measurement of Supraspinatus Muscle Contraction Using Ultrasound Imaging, Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 42, iss. 1, p. A8.
- Baumgarten, K., Osborn, R., Schweinle, W., J, E., D, S., A novel technique for determining scapular substitution: A case-control and inter-rater reliability study., International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy.
- Ekstrom, R., Osborn, R., (2011), Muscle Length Testing and Electromyographic Evidence for Manual Strength Testing and Exercises for the Shoulder, Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, iss. 5th, pp. 329-349.
Awards and Honors:
- The School of Health Sciences Faculty Research Achievement Award, The University of South Dakota School of Health Sciences, 2012
- The Dr. Roy Osborn Lifelong Learner Award, The University of South Dakota Physical Therapy Department, 2011