The transitional Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree (t-DPT) at The University of South Dakota is the first online doctoral program in the South Dakota Regental system. The Doctor of Physical Therapy degree is conferred upon completion of a structured 5 semester, 25 credit hour online post-professional educational experience that augments current professional knowledge, skills and behaviors. The program has been designed around the American Physical Therapy Association's Preferred Curricular Model for the Transitional Clinical Doctoral Program and Learner, and the Transitional Clinical Doctorate Competencies. Further information may be found in the USD Graduate School Catalog.
Students accepted into the t-DPT program will need to complete a background check. A log-in will be provided by the Graduate School upon provisional acceptance into the program.
- Possess a current license to practice physical therapy (in good standing)
- Graduate from a Physical Therapy program accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Physical Therapist Education (CAPTE) or foreign trained with a current P.T. licensure in the United States (in good standing) or graduate from a Physical Therapy program accredited by the Physiotherapy Accreditation Canada (PEAT) with current P.T. licensure in Canada.
- Meet one of the following:
- Hold a certificate in Physical Therapy plus a Bachelor's degree in select field plus 20 years of experience in the field of PT
Possess a Bachelor's Degree in Physical Therapy plus 10 years of experience in the field of PT
- Possess a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy plus 2 years of experience in the field of PT
- $35 Application Fee
- 250-word minimum statement of purpose
- 2 letters of recommendation, 1 personal and 1 professional
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Copy of current Physical Therapy License
The next cohort is scheduled to begin Fall 2016. Complete applications will be reviewed for acceptance as they are received.
For more information regarding the t-DPT Program, please contact:
- Patti Berg-Poppe (Patti.Berg@usd.edu), PT, PhD, MA, NCS, Assoc. Professor - Transitional Doctorate Program Director
- Becca Jordre (Becca.Jordre@usd.edu), PT, DPT, Assoc. Professor - Chair of Physical Therapy Admissions
- Lana Svien (L.Svien@usd.edu), PT, PhD, MA, Professor - Physical Therapy Program Chairperson