Debra Norris, Director of the BSSW Program
Social Work, School of Health Sciences
UJA Julian Hall 252
Dr. Norris is a practitioner and educator with a over 30 years of experience. She was honored in 2011 as the Outstanding Faculty for Teaching by the School of Health Sciences.
Intergenational family influence & culture, rural community program planning from a Systems of Care perspective
Applied & participatory research and "Best Practices" in social work Influence of persistent poverty on rural communities & community sustainability
- EDD, Adult & Higher Educational Administration, University of South Dakota, 1998
- MSW, Masters in Social Work, University of Kentucky, 1985
- BA, Sociology & Social Work, Eastern Kentucky University, 1979
- Rosebud Sioux Tribe Attorney General's Children Exposed to Violence Demonstration Program: Phase I, Dept. of Justice
- No-Cost Exdtension, Children's Bureau & NCWWI, (2013 - 2014)
- South Dakota Child Welfare Training Project, National Child Welfare Workforce Institute, (2010 - 2013)
- Tribal Supplement to the NCWWI, Children's Bureau, (2011)
- Mental health literacy among rural older adults, University of South Dakota, (2012 - 2013)
- Norris, D., Trauma Informed Practice Bibliography, CSWE Taskforce on Trauma Informed Practice.
- Norris, D., Van Osdel, J., Cochran, C., A Data Primer for InterProfessional Education.
- Norris, D., Aden-Ripperda, D., (2013), NCWWI BSW traineeship programs: Legacies & lessons learned. , National Child Welfare Workforce Institute..
- Norris, D., LaPlante, K., (2013), NCWWI tribal traineeship programs: Legacies & lessons learned., National Child Welfare Workforce Institute.
- Nooney, L., Giomo-James, E., Kindle, P. A., Norris, D., Myers, R., Tucker, A., Stanley, R., (2013), Rural Food Pantry Users' Stigma and Safety Net Food Programs, Contemporary Rural Social Work, vol. 5, pp. 100-105.
- , Norris, D., (2012), Advanced Social Work Practice in Trauma, Council on Social Work Education (CSWE Standards).
- Lawler, M. J., LaPlante, K., Giger, J. T., Norris, D., (2012), Overrepresentation of Native American children in foster care: An independent construct? , Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work, vol. 21, iss. 2, pp. 95-110. (DOI: 10.1080/15313204.2012.647344)
- Norris, D., Cochran, C., (2011), Organizing & Presenting Data: A How to Primer, SD Kids Count Network, iss. Revised, p. 46.
- Norris, D., , C. S., (2009), Needs Assessments: An Integrated Assignment in Civic Service, Journal of Teaching in Social Work, vol. 29, pp. 373-382.
Awards and Honors:
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Teaching, School of Health Sciences, 2011
- Associate Professor, School of Health Sciences, 2010
- Who's Who, Madison, 2010
- Who's Who Professionals, Madison, 2009
- Whos Who in Teaching, Who's Who, 2005
- Who's Who in Teaching, Who's Who, 2004