School of Health Sciences: Social Work, Health Affairs
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 367
Jarod T. Giger attended the the University of Missouri School of Social Work where he received his PhD.
Direct practice and intervention skills in social work. Human behavior in the social environment and personality theories in the social context. Social work research and modern robust statistics.
Smart home technology for health services. Remote patient monitoring. Privacy issues, confidentiality and acceptance of smart home technology among persons with disabilities and their caregivers.
- Ph D, Social Work, University of Missouri, 2010
- MSW, Social Work, Southern Illinois University, 2001
- BA, Psychology, Southern Illinois University, 1999
- A Non-Invasive and Passive Technology Intervention Assessing Sleep and Cognition in Inpatient Older Adults, WellAWARE Systems
- An Interdisciplinary Student Teaching Innovation: A Health Science and Arts and Sciences Teaching Synergy , University of South Dakota Provost Teaching Innovation Fund
- Children’s Health and Well-Being in Rural Areas
- Anytime, Anywhere, Model Learning Systems and Technology Tools, NSF
- Determinants of care & life quality in American Indian women with cervical cance, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities of the National Institutes of Health under award number U54MD008164 , (2014 - 2014)
- Determinants of Care & Life Quality in American Indian Women with Cervical Cancer, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities of the National Institutes of Health under award number U54MD008164 (by Elliott) , (2014 - 2014)
- Mental health literacy among rural older adults, University of South Dakota, (2012 - 2013)
- From Disparities Research to Disparities Interventions, National Institute on Drug Abuse R13 scientific conference grant (with additional support provided by National Institute of Mental Health MH and National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and the University of South Florida College of Behavioral and Community Sciences, (2010 - 2011)
- Seefeldt, T., Mort, J., Brockevelt, B., Giger, J. T., Jordre, B., Lawler, M. J., Nilson, W., Svien, L., , (2012), A Pilot Study of Interprofessional Case Discussions for Health Professions Students Using the Virtual World Second Life., Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, vol. 4, pp. 224-231.
- Lawler, M. J., LaPlante, K., Giger, J. T., Norris, D., (2012), Overrepresentation of Native American children in foster care: An independent construct? , Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work, vol. 21, iss. 2, pp. 95-110.
- Giger, J. T., Markward, M., (2011), The Need to Know Caregiver Perspectives Toward Using Smart Home Technology, Journal of Social Work in Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 10, iss. 2, pp. 96-114.
- Zhou, Z., Dai, W., Eggert, J., Giger, J. T., Keller, J., Rantz, M., He, Z., (2009), A real-time system for in-home activity monitoring of elders., Proceedings from the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual International Conference of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), p. 6115–6118.
- Demiris, G., Parker-Oliver, D., Giger, J. T., Marge, S., Marilyn, R., (2009), Older adults' privacy considerations for vision based recognition methods of eldercare applications. , Technology and Health Care, vol. 17, iss. 1, pp. 41-48.
- Wang, F., Stone, E., Dai, W., Banerjee, T., Giger, J. T., Krampe, J., Rantz, M., Skubic, M., (2009), Testing an in-home gait assessment tool for older adults, Proceedings from the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Annual International Conference of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), pp. 6147-6150.
Awards and Honors:
- National Rural Health Associate (NHRA) Rural Health Fellow Program of 2012, National Rural Health Associate (NHRA), 2011
- NAMI Sioux Falls Awards Ceremony, South Dakota Sioux Falls National Alliance on Mental Illness, 2010