Jay Memmott, Chair
Social Work, School of Health Sciences
Born in Salt Lake City, Utah. B.A. in English, University of Utah, 1974. M.S.W., University of Kansas, 1977. Ph.D. in Social Work, University of Kansas, 1984. Specializations in Health Care, Mental Health, and Addictions Treatment.
Social Work Practice, Advanced Clinical Practice, Assessment and Diagnosis, Advanced Social Policy, Research, Human Behavior in the Social Environment, Addictions, and Spirituality.
Natural Helping, Addictions Treatment and Recovery, the Processes and Mechanisms of Change, Practice-Informed Research, Program Evaluation, and Health Literacy--particularly among American Indians and Other Under-Represented Peoples and Groups.
- Ph D, Social Work, University of Kansas, 1984
- M.S.W., Social Work, University of Kansas, 1977
- BA, English, University of Utah, 1974
- Community based participatory research: Assessing general well-being of American Indian Older Adults in South Dakota , University of South Dakota, (2013 - 2014)
- Smart Home Technology Facilitates Telehealth & Independence, USD Governor's Technology Funds, (2012 - 2013)
- Mental health literacy among rural older adults, University of South Dakota, (2012 - 2013)
Awards and Honors:
- Service Award, Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), 2011
- Vogt, H., Memmott, J., Giger, J. T., Gutierrez, C., Lemke, J. (2014, July). Health Literacy 101: You Can't Tell by Looking. Presented at the NAO Conference, Charlotte .
- Lemke, J., Giger, J. T., Gutierrez, C., Memmott, J., Vogt, H., Lemke, B. (2014, July). Health literacy and American Indian patient activation. Presented at the NAO Conference, Charlotte .
- Vogt, H., Memmott, J., Giger, J. T., Gutierrez, C., Lemke, J. (2014, June). Lay Patient Advocacy Training in Tribal Communities: Preliminary Trend. Presented at the Collaborative Research Center for American Indian Health , Bemidji, MN.
- Giger, J. T., Memmott, J. (2013, October). Rural social work to address health disparities: Skype as a telehealth primer. Presented at the Council on Social Work Education, Dallas, Tx.