Antitrust & Consumer Protection; Trial Advocacy and Techniques; History and Law
Evolutionary biology models applied to stuctural and behavioral antitrust analyses; ethics and antitrust enforcement; Clayton Act merger regulation standards and enforcemt/international merger review standards; Agricultural antitrust issues; and comparative antitrust/competition law standards and enforcement.
- M.A.L.S. (American Studies), Georgetown University, 2007
- JD, Law---Order of the Coif, Case Western Reserve University, 1981
- BA, Biological Sciences, Harvard University, 1977
- Horton, T., (2013), Confucianism and Antitrust: China's Emerging Evolutionary Approach to Anti-Monopoly Law, The International Lawyer, vol. 47, iss. 2 (2013), pp. 101-175.
- Horton, T., (2013), Antitrust and Competition in America's Heartland, University of South Dakota Law Review, vol. 58, iss. 3, p. 439 (2013).
- Horton, T., (2013), Fairness and Antitrust Reconsidered: An Evolutionary Perspective, McGeorge L. Rev., vol. 44, iss. 4, pp. 823-864 (2013).
- Horton, T., (2013), Teaching America's Antitrust Laws and Their Enforcement, Am J. Legal Hist., vol. 53, iss. 4 (2013), p. 441.
- Horton, T., , R., (2013), Should the Internet Exempt the Media from the Antitrust Laws? (with Prof. Robert H. Lande), Fla. L. Rev., vol. 65, iss. 5, pp. 1521-1558 (2013).
- Horton, T., , J., , (2013), Analyzing Information Exchanges Between Competitors Under the Anti-Monopoly Law (with Jenny Xiaojin Huang), China's Anti-Monopoly Law: The First Five Years (Wolters Kluwer: Law & Business) (2013), pp. 95-117.
- Horton, T., South Dakota, ABA Section of Antitrust Law--State Antitrust Practice and Statutes, iss. 5th, p. (forthcoming 2013).
- Horton, T., North Dakota, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, iss. 5th ed., p. (forthcoming 2013).
- Horton, T., (2012), Unraveling the Chicago/Harvard Antitrust Double Helix: Applying Evolutionary Theory to Guard Competitors and Revive Antitrust Jury Trials, 41 U. Balt. L. Rev. 615 (2012), vol. 41, iss. 4, pp. 615-670 (2012).
- Horton, T., (2011), The New United States Horizontal Merger Guidelines: Devolution, Evolution, or Counterrevolution?, Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, Oxford University Press, vol. 2 , iss. 158, p. 18 pages.
- Horton, T., (2011), The Coming Extinction of Homo Economicus and the Decline of the Chicago School of Antitrust: Applying Evolutionary Biology to Structural and Behavioral Antitrust Analyses, Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, vol. 42, iss. 3 (2011), pp. 469-522.
- Horton, T., (2010), Fixing Merger Litigation “Fixes”: Reforming the Litigation of Proposed Merger Remedies Under Section 7 of the Clayton Act, South Dakota Law Review, vol. 55, iss. 2 (2010), pp. 166-213.
- Horton, T., (2009), ABA SECTION OF ANTITRUST LAW, ANTITRUST AND ASSOCIATIONS HANDBOOK , ABA Section of Antitrust Law, (contributing author), vol. .
- Horton, T., (2006), A Comparison of Merger Remedies in the U.S. and EU, Euromoney Competition & Antitrust Rev., vol. 31.
- Horton, T., (2006), Competition or Monopoly? The Implications of Complexity Science, Chaos Theory, and Evolutionary Biology for Antitrust Competition Policy, The Antitrust Bulletin, vol. 51, p. 195.
- Horton, T., (2006), Trial Fundamentals and Courtroom Strategies for the Civil Antitrust Attorney, American Bar Association, Litigation Section.
- Horton, T., (2005), Negotiating Merger Remedies with the Antitrust Division and Litigating the Proposed Fix, Ohio State Bar Association 39th Annual Antitrust Institute: Litigating Antitrust Cases, vol. 2-4.
- Horton, T., (2005), Avoiding Antitrust Issues: The Interface of America’s Antitrust and Intellectual Property , BioPharm International-Guide to Intellectual Property, Chapter 7.
- Horton, T., (2005), Competition or Cooperation? Encouraging Domestic Business Competitiveness in a Global Economy: The National Cooperative Production Amendments of 1993 to the National Cooperative Research Act, American Conference Institute-Conference on Pharmaceutical Antitrust.
- Horton, T., (2005), Protecting Your Life Sciences and Biotech Licenses from the Specter of the Antitrust Laws, Licensing Journal, vol. 25(3), iss. 1 .
- Horton, T., (2003), America in the Post-September 11 World, Georgetown University-Writing Across the Curriculum, vol. 1, p. 49.
- Horton, T., (2003), Protecting Your Biotech Discoveries and Investments, Ind. U.S. Business Journal, vol. 2003, iss. 13, p. .
- Horton, T., (2003), Oversized Carry-On Bags and Section 1 of the Sherman Act: The Continental Airlines/United Airlines Antitrust Battle, ABA Antitrust Section-Trade Associations Committee Newsletter, p. 35.
- Horton, T., (2003), Trying and Winning a Civil Antitrust Case, Practical Litigator, vol. 2003, p. 19.
- Horton, T., (2002), The Lessons of Covisint: Regulating B2Bs Under European and American Competition Laws, Wayne Law Review, vol. 47, p. 1231.
- Horton, T., (2002), How to Avoid Antitrust Pitfalls in In-Licensing, Co-Development, and Co-Promotion, American Conf. Inst.-Co-Development and Promotion Agreements.
- Horton, T., (2002), Science v. Commerce/The Gene Biz, San Francisco Chronicle, vol. Op-Ed.
- Horton, T., (2002), A Tale of Two Continents: The Coming Clash of the Conflicting Economic Viewpoints in Europe and the United States, ABA Antitrust Section-Economic Newsletter, p. 21.
- Horton, T., (2002), Patenting Our Lives and Our Genes: Where Does Congress Stand?, PUBLIC COMMENT TO FTC HEARING ON COMPETITION AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW AND POLICY IN THE KNOWLEDGE-BASED ECONOMY, p. 21.
- Horton, T., (2001), More Questions Than Answers: Behind the Bundeskartellamt’s Approval of Covisint, European Lawyer, p. 8.
- Horton, T., (2001), How the Antitrust Division and Federal Trade Commission Use Trade Association Information and Activities in Merger Investigations, Orrick Newsletter.
- Horton, T., (2001), Four Simple Guidelines for Effectively Representing Your Clients Before the Antitrust Agencies, Orrick Newsletter.
Awards and Honors:
- Belbas-Larson Award for Excellence in Teaching, USD, 2013
- Johnson, Heidepriem & Abdallah Trial Advocacy Fellowship, Johnson, Heidepriem & Abdallah, 2012
- John Wesley Jackson Outstanding Faculty Award, USD School of Law, 2011
- Horton, T. (2013, April). Fairness and Antitrust Reconsidered: An Evolutionary Perspective. Presented at the SEAL Annual Meeting 2013, University of Pennsylvania School of Law Philadelphia, PA.
- Horton, T. (2013, March). Applying Evolutionary Theory to Antitrust Analyses. Presented at the Antitrust & Competition in America's Heartland, Vermillion, SD.
- Horton, T. (2012, April). Applying Evolutionary Theory to Structural and Behavioral Analyses. Presented at the SEAL Annual Meeting 2012, Emory Law School Atlanta, GA.
- Horton, T. (2010, June). Agricultural Antitrust Issues in South Dakota. Presented at the Vermillion Rotary Club, Vermillion, SD.
- Horton, T. (2010, April). Fixing Merger Litigation 'Fixes': Reforming the Litigation of Proposed Merger Remedies Under Section 7 of the Clayton Act. Presented at the Tenth Annual Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies.