Borrowing Library Materials
Wegner Health Science Information Center
University Libraries Circulation Department
- Located on the first floor of the I.D. Weeks building to your right as you enter.
- Check out library materials, room keys, lockers, and selected equipment at the Circulation Desk.
- In order for all students and faculty to have an equal opportunity to access library materials, University Libraries enforces certain policies and regulations as outlined below.
USD University Libraries Borrowers
Library borrowers are responsible for:
- All materials checked out to their library account.
- Knowing when the materials are due.
- Providing the library with a current address whenever information changes.
All University of South Dakota (USD) affiliated students, faculty and staff must present a current USD ID card to check out library materials.
Community members and anyone who is not affiliated with the University may be eligible to obtain a free Community Borrower's Card at the Circulation Desk. A Community Borrower's Card entitles the patron to have a total of five items checked out on his/her library account. Interlibrary Loan privileges are not extended to community patrons.
Individuals eligible to register for a University Libraries Community Borrower's Card include:
- Residents of South Dakota who present a South Dakota government-issued photo ID (South Dakota identification card or driver's license) or South Dakota high school ID are given a Community Borrower Card valid for one year from date-of-issue. Evidence of current address may be required.
- Faculty and students of Morningside College with a current Morningside College photo ID are issued a Community Borrower Card valid for the current semester
- Newcastle, NE High School teachers and students are issued a Community Borrower Card valid for the current semester.
Out-of-state library guests, excluding those mentioned above, are welcome to use the library facilities and its resources but are limited to in-house use of materials.
Exceptions to the following loan periods are noted by * and listed at the end of this section.
28 days, may be renewed if not requested by another patron
Patrons can place a hold on library materials that are currently checked out to another patron. Patrons will receive an e-mail notice when the requested item is available to check out at the Circulation Desk.
Instructions for placing an online Hold on library materials that are currently checked out:
From the University Libraries homepage (http://www.usd.edu/library) select the link to the Library Catalog
- Locate the item you want by searching the Library Catalog
- Bring up the Full Record by clicking on the title
- Check the Availability
- If the item is checked out select Request
- To place a hold for this material, you will need your USD photo ID (Coyote Card).
- On the back of your card is the Library Bar Code number beginning with 21594…..
- Type this in the Library Barcode box
- For your password use your last name as written on the front of your ID.
- Select University of South Dakota from the library drop down list
- Enter a date after which you do not need this item (YYYYMMDD).
- Write any additional information in the message box and Submit
If an item is recalled, a notice is emailed informing the patron, to whom the item is checked out, that it has been recalled and advising of the date by which the item must be returned (this date might be sooner than the original due date).
Materials needed by the library for course reserves may be recalled immediately, at any time.
Items on loan which have been recalled and are not returned on time are subject to overdue fines of $2.50 per day to a maximum of $30.00.
All materials borrowed from the library need to be returned to the Circulation Department. An outside book drop is located near the west entrance of the library and is available 24 hours a day. Another book drop is located inside to the west of the circulation desk.
The Library assesses a late fee to patrons when materials are late. Additional fines are levied for damaged or lost materials. It is the borrower's responsibility to return materials to the library on or before the due date.
Fine Rates are as follows:
Videos & DVDs, and CDs
$0.50 a day per item to a maximum fine of $5 per item.
Current & Bound Periodicals, Reserve and Reference Materials
$0.25 an hour per item to a maximum fine of $5 per item.
Room Keys, White Board Markers & Erasers, Ethernet Cables, Headphones
$1.00 per hour to a maximum of $5 per item
Recalled Items Not Returned by the due date specified on the recall notice
$2.50 per day per item to maximum of $30.00 per item
All other materials (books, dissertations, scores, maps, government documents)
$0.25 a day per item until a maximum fine of $5 per item.
Some items may be renewed, provided they have not been requested by another patron (see the Library Loan Periods above). Outstanding library fines must be settled before any items can be renewed. Renewals maybe done online, by telephone or at the Circulation Desk on or before the due date. If you have questions about online renewals, please contact the Circulation Desk at 605-677-5373 or email@example.com .
Instructions for renewing materials online:
- From the University Libraries homepage (http://www.usd.edu/library) select the link to the Library Catalog
- Select My Library Card located on the purple menu bar at the top of the screen
- Enter your Library Barcode from the back of your USD ID card
- (The number beginning with 21594…..)
- Enter your last name as written on the front of your ID as your password.
- Select University of South Dakota from the drop down list
- Click on Loans under Activities
- Renew one item by clicking its underlined number
- To Renew All items click the Renew All link
Patrons are responsible for the cost to repair or replace materials lost or damaged while checked out to their library account. Please report any damaged or lost library materials to the Circulation Department.
All lost material will be billed at actual cost per item plus a processing and an overdue fee, if applicable. In some situations and with permission, the patron may replace lost material with another acceptable copy of the lost item. In this case, the patron is still responsible for any applicable overdue and processing fees. This policy applies to all borrowers, including faculty.
Materials, selected by instructors for reading, viewing, and listening in connection with course work, may be placed on Course Reserves within the provisions of Copyright Law. Materials that are acceptable, not acceptable, or not appropriate for Course Reserves are outlined in the Course Reserves Policy. Most Course Reserves are available in D2L, but sometimes may be placed on Physical Reserve and lent from the Circulation Desk. The Circulation Desk maintains a list of items on Physical Reserves.
Course Reserve Policy: http://link.usd.edu/370
Instructor Request Form: http://link.usd.edu/3743
Interlibrary LoanInterlibrary Loan privileges are extended to current USD students, faculty, and staff. The University Libraries observes any conditions of use determined by the lending library (loan periods, renewal policies, and location of use).
Interlibrary Loan Policies: http://link.usd.edu/684