Distance Education Services
The University Libraries are committed to providing high quality library services to all USD students and faculty. This mission includes USD off-campus students.
Distance learning students are encouraged to use the resources provided through the University Libraries Website which are specifically designed to meet their needs.
Library services available to USD distance education students are extensive, some of which are:
Reference Assistance is available to all USD distance education students and faculty. Please use our Ask-A-Librarian services.
- Verification of citations to research materials
- Assistance with the development of efficient and productive search strategies
- Answers to ready-reference questions
- Instruction in the use of a wide variety of databases
- Assistance in locating materials
- Help with constructing bibliographic citations
The Distance Education Librarian provides information literacy instruction on site at Sioux Falls and Sioux City. RDTN and satellite uplinks are also used. Students are taught information retrieval skills, use of databases and explanation of available services.
Materials located at the University Libraries as well as libraries around the country will be mailed to distance students who do not come to the Vermillion campus on a regular basis. Distance students are responsible for return postage and should allow enough shipping time for the items to reach us by the due date. If you travel to Vermillion at least once a week, we ask that you pick up your materials in person.
In order to request books, articles, or other materials, use the ILLiad interlibrary loan/document delivery service.
- Login to ILLiad with your USD email Username, and password.
- Try this LibGuide for more help setting up your account if you have not yet registered.
- Call Interlibrary Loan: 1-605-677-6087
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 605-677-5488
Items held at the University Libraries are generally shipped to you within two working days. If the interlibrary loan department has to borrow the item from another library, it will take time to receive it and then forward it on to you. If you are in a hurry, you may wish to contact your local public library request an interlibrary loan for items not held at the University Libraries. This will allow you to receive your items more quickly.