Barbara Goodman, Ph.D.
Born Hanover, NH, B.A. Chemistry Duke University 1972, PhD Physiology, University of Minnesota 1981, postdoc Pulmonary Medicine, UCLA 1980-1986, faculty USD School of Medicine 1986-present
physiology (both basic and advanced), introductory biology for future elementary teachers, biomedical ethics, teaching fundamentals for graduate students, membrane transport, nerve and muscle physiology, XDIS, FYE
how to improve student learning using innovative and active pedagogy, review articles of scientific concepts for the lay public
- Ph D, physiology, University of Minnesota, 1981
- BA, chemistry, Duke University, 1972
- Goodman, B., Huckfeldt, V., (2013), The Rise and Fall of a Required Interdisciplinary Course: Lessons Learned, Innovations in Higher Education, vol. 09 May 2013, p. 14. (DOI: DOI 10.1007/s10755-013-9261-4)
- Goodman, B., (2012), Targeting Relevance: The Challenges of Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning, The Physiologist, vol. 55, iss. 1.
- Goodman, B., (2010), Insights into digestion and absorption of major nutrients in humans, Advances in Physiology Education, vol. 34, iss. 2, pp. 44-53. (DOI: 10.1152/advan.00094.2009)
- Rasmussen, K., Goodman, B., (2009), Principles of Organismal Physiology Laboratory Manual, Pearson Custom Publishing.
- Goodman, B., Freeburg, E., Rasmussen, K., , (2006), Elementary education majors experience hands-on learning in introductory biology, Advancements in Physiology Education, vol. 30, iss. 4, pp. 195-203.
Awards and Honors:
- APS Guyton Physiology Educator of the Year Awardee, American Physiological Society, 2011
- APS Guyton Educator of the Year Award Finalist, American Physiological Society, 2010
- Outstanding Educator Award , Division of Basic Biomedical Sciences , 2009
- Goodman, B. The Elvis Experments. Presented at the Experimental Biology.
- Goodman, B. Second grade science activities. Presented at the Jolley Elementary School, Vermillion.
- Goodman, B. Kidney Under Pressure. Presented at the Vermillion Middle School, Vermillion Middle School.
- Goodman, B. Physiology Understanding Week. Presented at the Vermillion Middle School, Vermillion.
- Goodman, B. (2014, December). RCR Scenarios. Presented at the Responsible Conduct of Research, Lee Medicine.
- Goodman, B. (2014, October). Teaching and Learning by Inquiry. Presented at the Comparative Approaches to Grand Challenges in Physiology, San Diego, CA.
- Goodman, B. (2014, June). Student Centered Learning: Practical Models. Presented at the Institute on Teaching and Learning, Bar Harbor, ME.
- Gannon, M., Tracy, D., Goodman, B., Kelley, B., Johnson, S. (2013, October). Successful Research and Publishing in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Presented at the CTL Workshop Series, McKusick 110, USD-Vermillion.
- Goodman, B. (2013, October). How to contribute scholarly activity in education. Presented at the What is SOTL?, Vermillion, SD.
- Goodman, B. (2012). First grade science activities. Presented at the Austin Elementary School, Vermillion, SD.
- Goodman, B. (2012, November). Outreach Models to Promote Physiology. Presented at the South Asian Association of Physiologists Biannual Meeting, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Goodman, B. (2012, November). Practical Laboratories – Converting Traditional Experiments to Inquiry-based Labs. Presented at the South Asian Association of Physiologists Biannual Meeting, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Goodman, B. (2012, October). Education Keynote Address. Presented at the Nebraska Physiological Society Annual Meeting , Wayne, NE, USA.
- Goodman, B. (2012, May). Teaching and Learning by Inquiry. Presented at the Seminar Program/University of Oregon, Eugene, OR.
- Goodman, B. (2011, November). Training and Collaborations. Presented at the Responsible Conduct of Research, USD.
- Goodman, B. (2010). Use of active learning in special classroom. Presented at the Dedication of Room 110 Delzell.
- Goodman, B. (2010). Mentoring and collaboration. Presented at the Responsible Conduct of Research Training.
- Goodman, B. (2009). Mentoring. Presented at the Responsible Conduct of Research Training.