Evelyn Schlenker, Ph.D.
Basic Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 132
I cam to USD over 30 years ago and have taught undergraduates, graduates, medical students and residents as well as being involved in research and service to the Medical School, University and my profession.
Teaching interests include Human Physiology, Experimental design and Biostatistics, and Honors Courses (I have developed 4 new course). In addition I have mentored over 30 undergrduate, graduate and medical students during my tenure.
My reserach interests are in the area of respiratory neurobiology, animal models of muscular dystrophy and hypothyroidism, gender differences in control of breathing. More recently I have developed histopathlogy methods to help evaluate the effects of influenza and bacterial infections on the lung and other tissues.
- Effects of hypothyroidism on expression and function of dopaminergic receptors in female hamsters, SSOM, (2011 - 2012)
- Sykora, C., Armor, M., Schlenker, E., Age and hypothyroidism affect dopamine modulation of breathing and D2 receptor levels, Respir Physiol Neurobio, vol. 185, iss. 2, pp. 257-64. (DOI: 10.1016/j.resp.2012.)
- Schlenker, E., Straub, H., Tschetter, R., Influence Of The H1n1 Pandemic On Students' Knowledge Of Influenza, Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187;2013:A2816.
- Schlenker, E., Tschetter, R. L., Straub, H., Influence of the H1N1 Pandemic on Students' Knowledge of Influeza, South Dakota Medicine, vol. 66, iss. November, pp. 449-457. (DOI: Not yet available)
- Weltman, N. Y., Ojamaa, K., Savinova, O. V., Chen, Y. F., Schlenker, E., Zucchi, Y. F., Saba, A., Colligiani, D., Pol , C. J., Gerdes, A. M., Restoration of cardiac tissue thyroid hormone status in experimental hypothyroidism: a dose-response study in female rats., Endocrinology, vol. 154, iss. 7, pp. 2542-52. (DOI: 10.1210/en.2012-2087)
- Shin, S., Schlenker, E., Students' understanding of type 2 diabetes mellitus., SD Med, vol. 65 , iss. 7, pp. 269-71.
- Rezvani, K., Zhang, D., Wang, H., Telleria, C., Schlenker, E., Ubiquitin-like (UBX)-domain-containing protein, UBXN2A, promotes cell death by interfering with the p53-Mortalin2 interactions in colon cancer cells , Cell death and Disease/Nature publishing group.
- Schlenker, E., (2012), Effects of hypothyroidism on the respiratory system and control of breathing: Human studies and animal models. Invited review article, Respir Physiol Neurobiol, vol. 181, iss. 2, pp. 123-31.
- Schlenker, E., Schultz, H. H., (2012), Hypothyroidism stimulates D(2) receptor-mediated breathing in response to acute hypoxia and alters D(2) receptors levels in carotid bodies and brain., Respir Physiol Neurobiol., vol. 180, iss. 1, pp. 69-78.
- Schlenker, E., Schultz, H. H., (2011), Hypothyroidism attenuates SCH 23390-mediated depression of breathing and decreases d1 receptor expression in carotid bodies, PVN and striatum of hamsters., Brain Research, vol. 1401, pp. 40-51.
- Chaussee, M., Sandbulte, H., Schuneman, M. J., DePaula, F., Addengast, L., Schlenker, E., Huber, V., (2011), Inactivated and live, attenuated influenza vaccines protect mice against influenza:Streptococcus pyogenes super-infections, Vaccine.
- Schlenker, E., (2010), In dystrophic hamsters, losartan affects control of ventilation and dopamine D1 receptor density., Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology, vol. 173, pp. 71-78.
Awards and Honors:
- Omicron Kappa Delta National Honors Society, Omicron Kappa Delta National Honors Society, 2004
- Recognition for work as Chair of the Planning Committee of the Respiratoy Neurobiology and Sleep Assembly of the ATS, The American Throacic Society (ATS), 2003
- USD Physical Therapy Department Contributor of the Year, USD Physical Therapy Department, 1997
- Chester B. McVay Award, USD School of Medicine, 1988
- The Agness M Holdridge Award, SD Lung Association, 1988
- USD School of Medicine Faculty Recognition Award, USD School of Medicine , 1984
- Schlenker, E. Peripherally acting D2 receptor Agonist Carmoxirole stimulates Ventilation in Hypothyroid Hamsters exposed to Acute Hypoxia . Presented at the American Thoracic Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Schlenker, E. Hypothyroidism affects dopaminergic D1 receptor expression and modulation of breathing in hamsters. Presented at the Experimental Biology, Anaheim, CA.
- Watson, T., Klonoski, J., Schlenker, E., Huber, V. (2012, August). A time course study of influenza:Streptococcus pyogenes super-infections in a mouse model. Presented at the USD Undergraduate Research Poster Presentation, Vermillion, SD.
- Schlenker, E. (2012, April). Restoration of serum euthyroidism is inadequate to reverse cardiac dysfunction in experimental hypothyroidism . Presented at the Experimental Biology , San Diego.
- Schlenker, E. (2012, April). Effects of thyroid hormone supplementation on ventilation and metabolism in a rat model of Type 2 Diabetes . Presented at the Experimental Biology , San Diego.
- Schlenker, E., Sykora, C. E. (2011, April). Dopamine D2 receptor stimulation with hypoxia. Presented at the Experimental Biology, Washington DC.