William Percy, Ph.D.
Medicine: Basic Biomedical Sciences, Health Affairs
UMS Lee Med/Sanford School of Medicine 133
For over 30 years I have had an active interest in intestinal motility. Most recently this has moved towards an investigation of how this activity is coordinated with mucosal function (absorption and secretion) in health and disease. I have been involved in two major projects involving the role of the muscularis mucosae in gastrointestinal function over the last 20 years. In the first, the pharmacological properties of this muscle are being investigated in an attempt to assess its functional relationship to the mucosal epithelium. In the second, events leading to altered muscularis mucosae and epithelial function in intestinal inflammation are studied.
- Ph D, Pharmacology, The University of Aberdeen, 1982
- BS, Pharmacology, The University of Aberdeen, 1978
Awards and Honors:
- Class of 1958 BBS Faculty Award, SSOM Alumni Association, 2012
- Editorial Board of the American Journal of Physiology (GI & Liver section), American Physiological Society, 2009
- Percy, W. (2013, August). Summary of preclinical curriculum implementation, ongoing development and anticipated needs for its success.. Presented at the SSOM Administrative Council, Sioux Falls.
- Percy, W. (2012, August). Summary of preclinical curriculum reform and anticipated needs for its fulfilment. Presented at the Health Sciences Leadership Meeting, Vermillion.