- Be recognized for outstanding achievement in education, research and patient care.
- Enhance the health care of the people of South Dakota and the region by providing superior education to medical students, residents, physicians and other health care providers and by supporting innovative research and scholarship.
- Be the academic home to internal medicine in South Dakota.
- Reach out to all physicians, scientists and other health care professionals.
- Build on the strength of diversity, dedication and enthusiasm of our faculty.
- Build on our commitment to excellence in education and scholarship.
- Foster collegiality, performance, community, professional development and personal satisfaction.
- Develop leaders in medical education, clinical care, research and scholarly activity.
- Collaborate with other medical school departments and research institutes to achieve goals.
- Emphasize moral integrity, high ethical standards, compassion for the sick and disadvantaged, commitment to lifelong learning and service and adaptability to change.