- Make sure you are eligible to attend our school
- Applications are submitted to AMCAS between June 1 and November 15 each year.
- The applicant arranges to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) within three years of the application and no later than September of the year prior to matriculation.
- Scores from the MCAT are submitted to AMCAS.
- The primary AMCAS application includes MCAT scores, the applicant's academic record, a personal statement, and biographical information.
- AMCAS also must receive official transcripts from the registrar of each college or university attended.
- When the AMCAS national application service has verified an applicant's course work, the primary AMCAS application is transmitted to the medical school(s) designated by the applicant.
- Once we receive a verified AMCAS application, the applicant is notified via e-mail.
- The verified application is then screened by Admissions staff to determine whether the applicant: 1) is a permanent resident or citizen of the U.S.; 2) is a South Dakota resident or has strong ties to South Dakota; 3) has completed the prerequisites; 4) has taken the MCAT at least once with scores no older than November 15, 2008, and not later than November 15, 2011, for the 2012 entering class.
Supplemental Information If Required
- Submit a Supplemental Application only if requested by the Admissions office.
- Applicants meeting the above requirements are sent an e-mail invitation to submit the Supplemental Application materials.
- Supplemental Application materials include an online supplemental application, requests for letters of recommendation and a non-refundable $35 application fee.
- When all supplemental information is received, the Admissions Office reviews these materials along with the applicant's primary AMCAS application to determine whether the applicant will be invited to interview.
- Residents of South Dakota are granted an opportunity to interview.
- Non-residents with strong ties to the state are reviewed for possible invitation to interview.
- Interviews are conducted open file by two members of the Admissions Committee.
Letters of Recommendation
- Beginning with the applicants for entering in 2010, the Sanford School of Medicine of The University of South Dakota will participate in the AMCAS Letter Writer Service. All letters of recommendation will be sent directly to AMCAS.
- Applicants who are invited to submit letters of recommendation should follow these guidelines: 1) Three (3) individual recommendations, submitted separately or collectively in a packet or 2) Evaluation materials/packet from a structured pre-medical committee with at least three contributing members on the pre-medical committee.
- Please limit the total number of recommendation letters submitted to four.
- Letter authors may submit letters to AMCAS after you have submitted your AMCAS application.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all application materials, especially letters of recommendation, have been received by the admissions committee by the deadline.
- Following the interview, the Admissions Committee evaluates all components of the completed application and makes a decision at the next scheduled committee meeting.
- Recommendations for acceptance may be made after any of the meetings. If not accepted, the applicant is "pended" until the final meeting for the year.
- At the final meeting, the class will be filled, a ranked alternate list is made and decisions for non-acceptance are finalized.