Diversity, Research, Service
Diverse Student Experience
- We are committed to providing opportunities for all residents of South Dakota to become a doctor of medicine.
- Diversity opportunities are part of several of our first- and second-year courses.
- Third-year students engage in a week-long cultural immersion to explore health care customs and issues in a variety of diverse populations.
- Our diversity initiatives are directed by our Office of Diversity Affairs, including our Indians Into Medicine Program (INMED).
Research Opportunities for Our Students
- The Medical Student Summer Research Program offers one-on-one basic science or clinical research experience during your first two years.
- During Student Research Day students present the results of their research efforts to their faculty and classmates.
- The Scholarship Pathways Program and the Physician Scientist Program provide additional opportunities for research.
- Opportunities to pursue research outside of the medical school also are available with affiliated hospitals and organizations.
Service Opportunities Our Students Have Experienced
- International health care experiences around the globe.
- Volunteering as part of the cultural immersion project at settings that include Indian reservations, Hutterite colonies and care facilities for the disabled, deaf and blind.
- Administering flu shots to elementary students as part of a statewide initiative.
- Training to deploy in case of a health care emergency.
- Organizing charity events to raise money for scholarships and domestic violence shelters.
- Creating the Coyote Clinic to provide health care for the uninsured and low income in downtown Sioux Falls.
- Our Scholarship Pathway Program also offers a service track.