Strong Ties to State
When reviewing ties for non-resident applicants, the following are considered to be strong and applicants are considered for interviews based on these circumstances:
- If one or both of your parents are current South Dakota residents
- If you graduated from a high school in South Dakota
- If you are a child of one of our medical school alumni
- If you are a member of a federally-recognized tribe from a bordering state
- If you will have completed at least 90 credits at a college/university in South Dakota
For any other consideration of ties, applications are reviewed by two members of the Admissions Committee and interviews are offered at their discretion. Examples of these are typically applicants who are non-residents but currently attending a college or university in the state or applicants who lived in South Dakota previously but have moved out of state.