- Visiting students must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- Visiting students must be in their fourth year of a four-year program at a Liaison Committee of Medical Education (LCME) accredited institution or an American Osteopathic Association (AOA) accredited institution.
- Visiting students may apply for no more than eight total weeks of senior year electives, after passing USMLE Step One upon completion of core clerkship as required of third-year students at our medical school. These core clerkships are: Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Surgery, Neurology and Psychiatry.
- We will not give credit to visiting students. A final grade/evaluation form must be provided by the student's medical school and must be given to the evaluating department prior to beginning the rotation. Evaluations will be returned to the student's medical school upon completion of the elective.
- Download the Visiting Student Application and all required forms from the following Web site or request application from Janet Macy (Janet.Macy@usd.edu) or Kay Austin (Kay.Austin@usd.edu)
- Complete all required forms with appropriate signatures and return them to ATTN: Janet Macy at the Office Medical Student Affairs. Sanford School of Medicine at The University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD 57069, not less than 30 days prior to elective start date.
- The student will be notified regarding the status of their application only after SSOM students have completed scheduling their Senior Electives. All visiting students applying for electives at our medical school are required to provide an official transcript, have malpractice and health insurance, complete immunization records and proof of HIPPA training.
- If professional liability, malpractice or health insurance is not provided by the student's medical school, a special policy must be obtained by the visiting student and proof of special coverage is required prior to approval of the elective.
- Our school and its affiliated hospitals do not provide for housing or meals nor will they provide information and advice on available housing.
- Students should, on arrival at our medical school, report to the approving department for further instructions.
- Application Form
- Background Check
- Confirmation of Malpractice Insurance
- Consent and Release Form
- Immunization Requirements Policy
- Immunization Form
- Bloodborne Exposure Checklist
- Complete Health Affairs Infection Control Manual