It is our objective that students will acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to provide excellent health care to women.
- We provide medical students with teaching and clinical experience in the reproductive and general preventive areas of women's health.
- Educational experiences include patient encounters, extensive didactic materials, interactive case-based discussions with faculty, and clinical rotations that develop clinical skills and reasoning.
- Currently the clerkship consists of introductory teaching sessions. In Rapid City there are two blocks of four weeks spent with two preceptors, and in Sioux Falls six weeks are spent with several preceptors and two weeks on a Labor and Delivery rotation in the hospital. Final examinations are then administered.
- Evaluation of students relies on the faculty evaluation of students as well as formal examinations.
- Electives are available for both research and clinical experience in Sioux Falls and at other sites in the state of South Dakota as well as teaching hospitals outside the state.
Students interested in Obstetrics and Gynecology receive extensive assistance in preparing for the match process and selection of residency programs.
- Diagnosing health disparities in the state
- Assessing HPV in American Indian women
- Studying the physiological genomics and signal transduction in the ovary
- Improving efficacy of RIT for prostate cancer
- Studying molecular nature of beta-catenin and expression in prostate cancer progression