- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- At least a bachelor's degree from an accredited academic institution
- Meet all admission requirements of Sanford School of Medicine of The University of South Dakota
- Outstanding grades as undergraduates
- Strong scores on the MCAT exam
- Strong letters of recommendation; including one letter of recommendation from a reference that can speak directly to your experience in and potential for independent research
- Productive laboratory experience that clearly demonstrates an interest, enthusiasm and commitment to biomedical research
- File an application with AMCAS between June 1 and October 15 of the year before you wish to enter the MD/PhD program of study. Be sure to select the radio button for the combined MD/PHD program. Selecting this radio button will provide you access to questions specific to the Physician Scientist program that must be answered for consideration in this program.
- Take MCATS within the past three years. We must receive your score by November 15 of the year prior to your target start date.
- We will contact you regarding interviews following review of your completed application by the Physician Scientist Admissions Committee.
- Interviews will take place in December and January.
- Letters of acceptance for our program may be mailed any time following the interview.
- Letters for the final group for acceptance, for the alternate list and for non-acceptances are mailed in mid-March.
- Accepted students must secure their position in the class within two weeks by signing a notarized form and depositing $100 toward their tuition.
- An accepted student may withdraw prior to June 1 and receive a refund of their $100 deposit.