General Surgery - Prospective Residents
Thank you for your interest in the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine General Surgery Program, located primarily in Sioux Falls, SD.
We seek to train general surgeons who are outstanding clinicians to provide excellent surgical care in rural communities. Our graduates will have an intense commitment to patient care and lifelong learning. We will assist the development of this expertise by providing our trainees with strong foundations of academic excellence, sound technical skills, and an understanding of contemporary issues in surgical practice and research.
We will instill upon the surgical resident a commitment to carry out professional responsibilities and adhere to ethical principles.
The surgical resident will demonstrate:
Compassion, integrity and respect for others
Responsiveness to patient needs that supersedes self-interest
Respect for patient privacy and autonomy
Accountability to patients, society and the profession
Sensitivity and responsiveness to a diverse patient population
The General Surgery residency will fill three categorical PGY-1 positions for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Applications will be accepted through ERAS only. Candidates will participate in the Match.
- Applications for the 2015-2016 academic year will be accepted through Nov. 26, 2014.
- Mailed, faxed or emailed applications will not be acknowledged.
Complete applications include:
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- USMLE transcript or COMLEX transcript
- Scheduled via email through email@example.com.
- Available dates will be conveyed to candidate by invitation only.
- Interview days began at 8 a.m. and conclude at 3 p.m.
- Applicants will be interviewed by Program Director Thav Thambi, MD, Chair of Surgery Gary Timmerman, MD, and at least four other faculty members.
- Hotel information and interview schedule will be emailed following confirmation of interview date.
- Notifications of application status will be emailed on a regular basis as applications are reviewed and decisions have been made. Details of decisions cannot be provided on an individual basis due to the number of applicants.
Since travel is expensive, and your time is valuable, we hope this information helps you make an informed decision about visiting our program. Thank you for your interest.