Internal Medicine Application Requirements
- Accepted through Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS)
- Applications for 2013-2014 academic year will be accepted through November 30, 2012
- Mailed, faxed, or e-mailed applications will not be acknowledged
Requirements for U.S. or Canadian medical school graduates
Must be graduates of an LCME-accredited or AOA-accredited school
Complete applications will include:
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- USMLE transcript or COMLEX transcript
Additional requirements for international medical graduates
(includes U.S. & Canadian citizens who are graduates of a foreign medical school)
- Scores of 200+ on each Step 1 & Step 2 CK of the USMLE on the first attempt; Step 2 CS must be passed on the first attempt and the results must be available prior to invitation to interview
- US clinical experience (exclusive of research) is required; at least one year is strongly preferred
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least two letters from U.S. physicians with first-hand knowledge of the applicant's clinical experience
- Candidate must be ECFMG certified by February 1, 2013 to be considered for a position starting June 24, 2013
- There is no published cut-off for year of graduation from Medical School, but a candidate is required to provide evidence of continuous work in the medical field since graduation; fewer than five years since graduation is strongly preferred
- The program sponsors J-1 and H1b visas
- To be considered for an H1b visa, candidates must have documentation through ERAS of a passing score on USMLE Step 3 on file by February 1 ("will take", or "score pending" cannot be recognized as a passing score)
All applications are reviewed by Internal Medicine faculty prior to invitation to interview. Communication with all candidates will be strictly through e-mail to arrange the interview.
- Scheduled via e-mail through firstname.lastname@example.org in mid-October
- on selected dates from mid-November 2012 through mid-January 2013
- Available interview dates will be conveyed to candidates in invitation to interview
- Interview day begins at 8 a.m. and concludes around 3 p.m.
- Applicants will be interviewed by Program Director Turi McNamee, MD, and either the Chair of Internal Medicine Department LuAnn Eidsness, MD, or the Vice-Chair David Rossing, MD, and at least one other faculty member
- Current residents will have lunch with applicants and provide tours
- Hotel information and interview schedule will be e-mailed following confirmation of interview date
Please do not call to check the status of your application or your USMLE score reports. Notifications of application status will be e-mailed on a regular basis as applications are reviewed and decisions have been made. Details of decisions cannot be provided on an individual basis due to the number of applications.
Since travel is expensive and your time is valuable, we hope this information helps you make an informed decision about visiting our program. Thank you for your interest.