VERMILLION, S.D. -- University of South Dakota students have chosen the 14 candidates for Miss and Mr. Dakota as part of Dakota Days homecoming week activities.
Coronation will be during halftime of Saturday’s football game in the DakotaDome.
The Miss Dakota candidates, hometown and field of study: Mariah Larson, Vermillion, business marketing; Erin Bauer, Omaha, Nebraska, marketing; Audrey Truhe, Elk Point, South Dakota, elementary and special education with a reading minor; Mackenzie Blow, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, dental hygiene; Kennidy Asche, Scotland, South Dakota, psychology/criminal justice; Lyndsay Claussen, Sioux Falls, political science with a history minor; and Rachel Nurse, Cedar Falls, Iowa, special education and elementary education.
Mr. Dakota candidates: Diego Marquez, Sioux City, Iowa, sociology and Spanish; Brady Daly, Sioux Falls, marketing; KC Herman, Milford, Nebraska, kinesiology-exercise science; Robert McCauley, Primghar, Iowa, nursing; Kevin Wagner, of Whitewood, South Dakota, business administration with minors in entrepreneurial studies and marketing; Michael Buchanan, Aberdeen, South Dakota, medical biology and psychology with an interdisciplinary sciences minor; and Nicholas Fey, White Lake, South Dakota, kinesiology-sports exercise.
D-Days will also include the dedication of the new Sanford Coyote Sports Center (SCSC) during the 5:30 p.m. Friday volleyball game along with a celebration of the past 20 years of progress under President James W. Abbott. Here are details on it and other Dakota Days events:
- Wednesday, Oct. 5 -- Vermtown Bash downtown: 5-8 p.m., street fair featuring a photo booth, inflatables, carnival, yard games and snacks; 9-11 p.m., street dance;
- Thursday, Oct. 6 -- 5:30 p.m. at the Wellness Center, 5K Fun Run/Walk in partnership with Hy-Vee (first 100 participants receive a free T-shirt);
- Friday, Oct. 7 -- 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at MUC faculty lounge, alumni welcome table; 3 p.m. at First Bank & Trust Soccer Complex, soccer vs. North Dakota State; 4:30 p.m. at Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts, marching band reunion; 5 p.m. outside the DakotaDome, pep rally; 5 p.m. at the DakotaDome, swim meet vs. Minnesota State; 5:30 p.m. at SCSC, volleyball vs. IUPUI (tickets are free) and formal dedication of the SCSC and honoring of major contributors; 6:30 p.m. at SCSC, Alumni Association University Celebration; 6:30 p.m. at the Wellness Center, zumba party; 7:30 p.m. at Wayne S. Knutson Theatre, “The Two Gentlemen of Verona” play;
- Saturday, Oct. 8 -- 9 a.m. on Main Street, Dakota Days parade; 10 a.m. at DakotaDome, tailgating; 2 p.m. at DakotaDome, Coyote football vs. UNI; coronation of Miss and Mr. Dakota at halftime; 6 p.m. at SCSC, volleyball vs. Fort Wayne (admission free with football ticket); 7:30 p.m. at Wayne S. Knutson Theatre, “The Two Gentlemen of Verona” play;
- Sunday, Oct. 9 -- 2 p.m. at Aalfs Auditorium, USD Chamber Singers.
Download a photo: The 2016 USD Dakota Days royalty. Back: Nick Fey, KC Herman, Robert McCauley, Diego Marquez, Michael Buchanan, Brady Daly, Kevin Wagner. Front: Audrey Truhe, Kennidy Asche, Erin Bauer, Lyndsey Clausen, Mariah Larson, Mackenzie Blow, Rachel Nurse.