VERMILLION, S.D. -- More than 30 University of South Dakota political science students secured internships near to and far from campus for the summer of 2017.
"Our students are applying their knowledge to real-world problems, learning about life in a professional setting and exploring the types of jobs they are interested in pursuing after graduation. I am excited for all of our students who have received internships in all sorts of settings including in Congressional offices, the non-profit sector, lobbying firms, the private sector, law firms, State's Attorney offices and state/local government," said Eric M. Jepsen, associate professor of political science and the internship director for political science majors.
USD’s Farber Fund provides financial support for all eligible undergraduates who major in political science and secure an internship.
The Department of Political Science at USD is distinguished by close faculty mentoring, a challenging program of study, and financial support for high-impact engagement activities like internships, study abroad, and student research.
The 35 students, their hometowns, and where they’re interning:
- Josh Anderson (Aberdeen, SD) Aberdeen Area Chamber of Commerce
- Cash Anderson (Pierre, SD) South Dakota Attorney General’s office in Pierre
- Anna Andrews (Sioux Falls, SD) Minnehaha County Deputy State’s Attorney in Sioux Falls
- Tony Beatty (Rapid City, SD), Americans for Prosperity in Rapid City
- Maria Brady (Papillion, NE) Global Partners in Hope in Omaha, NE
- Haley Bryan (Sergeant Bluff, IA) Minnehaha County State’s Attorney in Sioux Falls
- Stone Conley (Irvine, CA) Vermillion Development Corporation
- Catie Doughtery (Sioux Falls, SD) Office of Inspector General at the Department of Transportation in Washington, D.C.
- Emily Dreeszen (Madison, SD) Woods, Fuller, Schultz, & Smith Law Firm in Sioux Falls
- Talita Fantauzzi (Torino, Italy) Vermillion, SD City Attorney
- Tim Flynn (Owatonna, MN) South Dakota Penitentiary in Sioux Falls
- Peter J. Friedel (Rapid City, SD), U.S. Rep. Noem in Washington D.C.
- Chesney Garnos (Wall, SD), U.S. Rep. Noem in Washington D.C.
- Liam Gibbons (Madison, WI) Ambulatory Surgery Center Association Government Affairs in Washington D.C.
- Taylor Gubbrud (Belle Fourche, SD), South Dakota Investment Council in Sioux Falls
- Rachael Haiar (Sioux Falls, SD) FOCUS in Panama City, Panama
- Jordan Hanson (Watertown, SD) C.H. Robinson in Sioux Falls
- Emily Herbert (Centennial, CO) U.S. Rep. Perlmutter in Denver
- Krista Honomichl (Volga, SD) Brookings County State’s Attorney in Brookings
- Marcus Ireland (Alcester, SD) Union County State’s Attorney in Elk Point
- Shukri Jama (South Sioux City, NE), Lutheran Social Services in Minneapolis, MN
- Shanleigh LeTexier (Sioux Falls, SD) Federal Pretrial and Probation Court in Sioux Falls
- Aaron Licht (Parker, SD) U.S. Rep. Noem in Sioux Falls
- Martin Long (Lyons, NE) U.S. Rep. Bacon in Omaha and U.S. Rep. Fortenberry in Lincoln, NE
- Anna Madsen (Ruthton, MN) TUSA Ambassador in Taipei, Taiwan
- Devin Martin (Lake in the Hill, IL) Legislative Correspondent for the United States Senate in Washington, D.C.
- Rachel Newville (Perham, MN) Imagine Missions in Dessoutce, Haiti
- Mitchell Rave (Baltic, SD) Office of the Governor, State of South Dakota in Pierre
- Brett Ries (Watertown, SD) Codington County State’s Attorney Office in Watertown
- Haley Schild (Yankton, SD) Habitat for Humanity in Yankton
- Christian Skunk (Lower Brule, SD) Infrastructure Director, Tribal Council, Lower Brule Sioux Tribe and Tribal Organizer with South Dakota Democratic Party
- Joseph Smith (St. James, MN) Big Brother Big Sister of Yankton
- Josh Sorbe (Brookings, SD) Ramsey County Government’s Health & Wellness Service Team in St. Paul, MN
- Lily Steffen (Fordyce, NE) Berry Law Firm in Lincoln, NE
- Ryne Verschoor (Dakota Dunes, SD) Woodbury County Democratic Party in Sioux City