Veterans' Services

Chapter 30

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB)

The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans who received an Honorable Discharge, earned a high school diploma or GED (or earned 12 college credits in some cases) and meet the requirements of one of four MGIB categories.

For more information on the Montgomery GI Bill visit the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs  or call 1-888-GI-BILL-1. 

Tips for Applying

For active duty or veterans of active duty, who contributed $1200

  • You need to fill out an application for the GI Bill only once; even if you switch schools. If you switch chapters, then you will need to apply for the new benefit
  • Apply for Benefits at  through VONAPP
  • Create a new VONAPP account (if you have not done so already). Do not use "DS Login" option.
  • Fill out the online version of VA Form 22-1990
  • At the end of your application, you will have the opportunity to upload documents in support of your claim. Uploading these documents will help reduce the time needed for the VA to approve your claim. Documents must be under one megabyte in size. If documents are not uploaded during the opnline application process, you will need to fax or mail these documents to the VA (VA fax: 314-552-9741) .               
    • Upload your DD214, Member 4 copy
    • Upload your Army/Navy College fund page from your enlistment contract (if applicable)                
    • Upload your "$600 buy-up kicker" contract (if applicable)
  • Upon completiion of the application and upload process, submit your application. Be sure to write down your "reference number"
  • Print a copy of your application for your records
  • After submitting you rapplicaiton, you will need to complete a USD Veteran Information Sheet before we can send in the VA Form 22-1999 to begin your benefits.
  • The benefit approval process can take up to three months. If/when approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to USD Veterans Services in the Registrar's Office. The VA does not contact USD about your benefits; you will be the first to know. If you have any questions about the status of your claim, you will need to call the VA at 888-442-4551 or submit a question online at