The President of the University of South Dakota has developed the following initiatives in order to support the continued development of the Greek community:

Live-In Advisors

Chapters with housing facilities will be required to have a live-in advisor or housemother. Chapters will provide room and board for the graduate assistant/housemother. If chapters choose to hire a GA, the University and chapters will split the cost of the graduate assistant stipend.

Alcohol within the Facilities

All fraternity chapters are common-area dry. If chapters wish to host a party with alcohol, they must find a third party off-premises vendor. Sororities are substance-free.


Fraternities and sororities may initiate members only if these new members have earned a cumulative university grade point average of 2.5, thus effectively postponing initiation until second semester.


All chapters will be required to use the University for the billing of member house payments and meals (dues and fees are optional).

Meal Plans

Chapters must provide meal plans to all members in residence.

Fraternity/Sorority Exemption from the Residence Halls

Second year fraternity/sorority members can be released from the Board of Regents two (2) year on-campus live-in policy only if they are a member in good standing of one of our fraternities or sororities, have completed 28 credit hours and have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average by the conclusion of the spring semester of their first year of school at USD. Students who are not granted a Greek Release for the fall of their second year of residence for failure to meet the minimum requirements are welcome to reapply the following semester, for a spring release. Please note, summer credits and winter credits are not taken into consideration for the following semester's release.

Students, once exempt to live in a fraternity/sorority house, are obligated to live in the chapter house for two semesters minimum, regardless of age or academic standing. Any student moving from a Greek house prior to completing the two semester residency requirement shall move back into a residence hall in order to fulfill the Board of Regents two year live-in policy.

Students who have signed a voluntary contract with University Housing (students who are at least two years post high school graduation) also are eligible for a Greek Exemption without financial penalty as long as the application is received by the deadline. These students are obligated to live in the chapter house for one semester, regardless of age or academic standing.