The Indian University of North America
The Summer 2015 University Program at Crazy Horse Memorial:
June 6 - August 2, 2015
A partnership between Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation and the University of South Dakota
It is hard to explain how amazing of an experience Crazy Horse was. I learned critical skills for succeeding in college, as well as making memories and meeting people I will never forget. This experience changed my life completely and I wish I could go back and do it all over again.
--Ashley Ambriz, Navajo, Colorado, summer 2014 participant
The Summer Program of the INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA®, a partnership between Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation and the University of South Dakota, will begin Saturday, June 6 and end on Sunday, August 2, 2015. The program offers the same university courses that are offered on the main campus. Ideal applicants will possess the maturity to participate in a university program with an intense academic component and a structured residential component. The program has four purposes:
- to provide accepted students freshman-level university courses which will transfer to any regionally accredited college or university, students complete one semester of college during the summer
- to prepare students for the rigors of college by offering college preparatory courses for students who need them
- to extend accepted students paid working internships at the Memorial's visitor complex
- to further fulfill the mission of the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation
Admission requirements for the Summer University Program of The Indian University of North America, a partnership between Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation and the University of South Dakota, are as follows:
- Applicants must be 17-21 years of age when the program commences.
- Applicants must possess a high school diploma (regular curriculum) before the program commences with a cumulative grade point average or equivalent of 2.5.
- ACT or SAT scores are required at the time of application. The composite ACT score for regular admission is 21; the SAT score for regular admission is 990. ACT scores below 21 and SAT scores below 990 will be considered for provisional admittance.
- Preference is extended to enrolled members of federally recognized tribes, however, the university is open to all qualified students.
- Applicants must possess a need for the curriculum offered.
- Completion of a short essay on why the applicant is interested in the program.
- Applicants, if selected, must complete an in person or telephone interview with the admissions committee.
- All applicants must complete the admission application and provide accompanying materials postmarked by March 30, 2015. Applicants chosen for admission must submit final high school transcripts by June 2, 2015. (SAT or ACT scores must be submitted with the application). If the transcript reveals the student has not graduated from high school, the student cannot participate in the university program.
- Demonstration of some degree of post-secondary preparation (examples could include a completed application for admission to a college or university, completed FAFSA, and/or completed applications for various scholarships)
For 2015, up to thirty two qualified students and eight
alternates will be selected by a selection committee comprised of
representatives from Crazy Horse Memorial and the University of South
Dakota. The Application Deadline is March 30, 2015.
Other Summer University Program at Crazy Horse Resources:
- The Summer University Program at Crazy Horse Curriculum
- Tuition and Fees
- Summer University Program Student Handbook
- Co-Curricular Activities
- Program at a Glance
- Summer 2013 Participant Testimonials