Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill — Selected Reserve
The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB - SR) program is available to active members of the Selected Reserve including the National Guard. A six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve is required. Qualifying individuals are eligible for up to 36 months of education benefits.
For more information on The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 1-88-GI-BILL-1.
Tips for Applying
Selected Reserve benefits are available to eligible, current drilling members of the National Guard or Reserve. You can only use this GI Bill while you remain in the National Guard/Reserve (unless you were deployed).
- You only need to fill out an application for the GI Bill once; even if you switch schools. If you switch chapters, you will need to apply for the new benefit
- Apply for Benefits at www.gibill.va.gov through VONAPP
- Create a new VONAPP account (if you have not done so already). – Do not use "DS Login" option.
- Fill out the online version of VA Form 22-1990
- At the end of your application, you will have the opportunity to upload documents in support of your claim. Uploading your documents will help reduce the time needed for the VA to approve your claim. Documents must be under 1 megabyte in size. If you do not upload your documents during your application, you will need to fax or mail them to the VA. VA fax: 314-552-9741.
- Upload your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). This forms comes from your unit after you complete AIT/Tech School
- Upload your Kicker contract (if applicable)
- Upon completing the application and document uploads, submit your application. Be sure to write down your reference number.
- Print a copy of your application for your records
- After submitting your application you will need to fill out a USD Veteran Information Sheet before USD can send in the VA Form 22-1999 to begin your benefits. The benefit approval process can take up to three months. If/when approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to USD Veterans Services in the Registrar's Office, Belbas Center 212. The VA does not contact USD about your benefits. You will be the first to know. If you have any questions about the status of your claim, you will need to call the VA at 888-442-4551 or submit a question online at www.gibill.va.gov.