Congratulations! You're a Coyote.
Now that you've been admitted and decided that the University of South Dakota is the place for you, there are a few more steps to complete in order to confirm your enrollment at USD. Follow the steps listed below and keep track of your progress with this printable version of the New-Student Checklist.
Welcome to the Coyote family!
Submit your University Housing Deposit/Apply for Housing
Your $100 university housing deposit reserves your spot. It provides you with your on-campus housing options and confirms any scholarship offers you receive from USD. Please contact the Office of Admissions to confirm your enrollment if you are requesting to live off campus.
Submit your deposit online
Apply for Housing
- Resident Students: Your deposit will be held by University Housing after the start of the semester. Deposit refunds are issued in accordance with the residence hall contract. Housing applications are completed online, and you will be notified when the housing application becomes available.
- Commuter Students: The housing deposit is not required for commuter students. Commuter students will need to contact the Office of Admissions at 605-658-6200 to guarantee enrollment.
NOTE: South Dakota Board of Regents Policy requires you to live on campus and enroll in a meal plan during the first two years immediately following your graduation from high school. Special permission to live off campus is generally granted to students living full time with parents or legal guardians, students enrolled primarily at off-campus locations and students with dependent children. Please see the complete SDBOR Housing & Meal Plans Policy 3:6 for information on policy exceptions and exemptions.
Housing Contract release applications received by University Housing prior to May 12 (Dec. 20 for Spring contracts) will receive a full refund of their university housing deposit if approved. Contract release applications received on or after that date will forfeit the university housing deposit if approved.
University of South Dakota Housing Policies
Pick up your USD Account
After you submit your university housing deposit, you will be able to access your USD account - including your USD email. Once you pick up your account, you will have access to the myUSD portal which includes technology you will use as a USD student.
Pick up your USD email account
Set up your WebAdvisor Account
WebAdvisor is the online tool providing you with access to registration, SDePay (tuition payment and notifications), course listing and other facets of your academic career at USD. You will also need to confirm your attendance at USD using your WebAdvisor Account.
Set up your WebAdvisor Access
File Your FAFSA
- You can file the FAFSA anytime after Oct. 1. Be sure to file your FAFSA by USD's priority deadline of April 1. List USD's code of 003474 on your FAFSA.
- Beginning mid-April, financial aid award letters will be mailed to your permanent address. Read all information enclosed with the award letter before accepting your financial aid package. Please call the Financial Aid Office at 605-658-6250 with any questions.
Take the Registration Survey
- Complete your Registration Survey
- Click on "Ready to start or complete your survey?"
- Enter group code OPZ-353-644
Placement exams are available to ensure you are registered for the correct courses based on your knowledge of math, English and foreign languages. Placement testing can be taken at, or before, your registration.
Please contact your admissions counselor if you need to take a placement exam or if you need additional information prior to your registration.
Read more about Placement Exams
Get ready and register for your fall classes! During Fast Track registration, you'll receive a warm USD welcome to campus* as you meet with your advisors, register for classes and learn all about the many resources available to you. Beginning in March, check your personal email for more information on registering for one of these Fast Track events.
*We're bringing Fast Track registration to you in Rapid City May 8-9 and June 25-26.
- Send in any final official AP test scores or dual credit college transcripts to assist with registering for classes.
(If you choose a registration option before final official AP test scores or dual credit college transcripts are received at USD, your advisor will make class recommendations based on your conversation during registration.)
2018 Fast Track Dates
- Tues. -Wed., May 8-9 (in Rapid City)
- Monday, May 21
- Wednesday, May 23
- Monday, June 4
- Wednesday, June 6
- Friday, June 8, 2018
- Monday, June 11
- Friday, June 15
- Wednesday, June 20
- Friday, June 22
- Mon. -Tues., June 25-26 (in Rapid City, Crazy Horse and Red Cloud)
- Friday, July 13
A personal computer is important to your academic and communication needs at college. Some academic programs require specific laptops. Check out these tips for selecting and preparing your computer to take full advantage of the computing resources available to you at USD.
Technology: Student Laptop Information
- Send the Office of Admissions your final official high school transcript after you graduate (required)
- Receive your roommate and residence hall assignment beginning June 2018.
- Reserve your books online and if necessary, purchase your parking pass.
- Beginning August 1, your bill will be available online at your SDePay account. You will NOT receive a paper copy of your bill.
Visit the Business Office for more information on billing and setting up your SDePay.
- Beginning August 1, confirm your attendance at USD in WebAdvisor ("2018 Fall Attendance Confirmation")
- Sign up for a move-in time. Sign up information will be sent to your USD email.
Move-In Day is Friday, August 17, 2018
Welcome Week Orientation
You've met your advisors. Now meet your fellow students. Held in the days just before classes begin, Welcome Week Orientation is a celebration of USD's incoming class with opportunities to meet other students, discover common interests, explore Vermillion and settle in to your role as a USD Coyote. Live entertainment and insightful sessions on college life will help launch you into your first year at USD.
Once again, congratulations and welcome to the Coyote family!