The Heart of Liberal Arts
Welcome to the College of Arts & Sciences - the heart of liberal arts education at USD, and the place where most undergraduates earn their degree.
We offer an impressive array of Undergraduate Majors, consistent with our mission as the public liberal arts university of the state of South Dakota. Our first-rate liberal arts education in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences blends the rich intellectual history of the past with contemporary fields of study.
We also offer a wide range of Graduate Degrees, consistent with our status as the state's leading graduate institution and our Carnegie Classification of RU/H - Research Universities (high research activity).
Points of Pride:
- Our Faculty offer outstanding instruction, as measured by the National Survey of Student Engagement and exemplified by Belbas-Larson Teaching Awards and Professor of the Year honors on campus, and Carnegie Professor of the Year honors in South Dakota.
- Our faculty are on the cutting-edge of their academic disciplines, evident in the publication of dozens of books, hundreds of scholarly articles, and millions of dollars in research grants and contracts in recent years.
- We dispense more than $400,000 annually to Arts & Sciences students in Scholarships, Awards and Prizes.
- Our students are among the best and brightest, demonstrated by the fact that 94% of the National Scholarship Winners at USD majored in an Arts & Sciences discipline.
- Our students comprise 85% of those earning the University Scholar designation at Commencement by completing the USD Honors Program.
News & Events
- USD student invited to share research with Congress at Posters on the Hill event
- USD readies for 30th annual S.D. Science Olympiad State Tournament
- Oscar Howe Curatorial Fellows work to preserve, present legendary artist's work at USD
- Biology Seminar: "Small RNA mediated gene regulation in abiotic stresses"
- "'World War I and South Dakota's Ethnic German Press"