Ed Gerrish is an Assistant Professor of Public Administration at the University of
South Dakota. His research focuses on government performance systems, in particular
how to optimize performance while avoiding unintended behaviors. He received his Master's
degree and Ph.D. from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University
and his undergraduate degree from the University of South Dakota. Prior to returning
to graduate work, Ed analyzed the costs and benefits of regulatory decisions for federal
agencies and organizations.
Research methods, public budgeting and finances, public administration, economic development,
state and local government, state and local finances
public sector performance, performance management, state and local finance, research
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Gerrish, Ed, and Spreen, Thomas L.. Does Benchmarking Encourage Improvement or Convergence? Evaluating North Carolina's
Fiscal Analysis Tool, 596-614. Vol. 27, Iss. 4. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 2017. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/mux018)
- Gerrish, Ed, and Watkins, Shannon L.. The Relationship between Urban Forests and Income: A Meta-Analysis. Landscape and Urban Planning, 2017.
- Gerrish, Ed. The Effect of the Child Support Performance and Incentive Act of 1998 on Rewarded
and Unrewarded Performance Goals. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 2017. (DOI: 10.1002/pam.21957)
- Gerrish, Ed. The effect of the child support performance and incentive act of 1998 on rewarded
and unrewarded performance goals, 65-96. Vol. 36, Iss. 1. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 2016. (DOI: 10.1002/pam.21957)
- Gerrish, Ed. The Impact of Performance Management on Performance in Public Organizations: A Meta-Analysis, 48-66. Vol. 76, Iss. 1. Public Administration Review, 2016.
- Gerrish, Ed. The Evolution of Performance Management in Public Organizations. Indiana University, 2015.
- Gerrish, Ed. Complex Contracting: Government Purchasing in the Wake of the U.S. Coast Guard's Deepwater
Program, by Trevor Brown, Matthew Potoski, and David Van Slyke, 248-250. Vol. 34, Iss. 1. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 2014. (DOI: 10.1002/pam.21806)
- Gerrish, Ed, and others. EMAILME: Stata module to facilitate sending mail on Windows systems. Statistical Software Components, 2014.
- Gerrish, Ed, and Wu, Po-Ju. Performance Management in the Public Sector. In Meta-Analysis for Public Management and Policy, 352-397. Jossey-Bass, 2013.
- Watkins, Shannon L., and Gerrish, Ed. The Relationship Between Urban Forests and Race: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Environmental Management (JEMA).