Organic Chemistry, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Electrochemistry,
The goal of our research is to provide tools for and insights into two technologically
important problems: energy conversion and drug development. One of our strategies
is to utilize the unique properties of organofluorine compounds as tools for improving
materials properties and function. We welcome talents at all levels--undergraduates,
graduates, postdocs, and visiting scholars--to join us in solving energy and medicinal
problems faced by our society. Our research program provides comprehensive training
for students in the fields of organic, fluorine, and materials chemistries. Aiming
to their future success, students working in our group will gain practical experience
in synthesis, separation, and characterization of small organic molecules, polymers,
and metal nanoparticles.
You will find more information about our research on our group webpage at http://sites.usd.edu/haoran-sun/.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Sun, Haoran, BaniKhaled, Mohammad O., Becker, John D., and Koppang, Miles. Perfluoroalkylation of square-planar transition metal complexes: a strategy assemble
them into solid state materials with pi - pi stacked lamellar structure, 1869-1878. Vol. 16, Iss. 4. Crystal Growth & Design, 2016. (DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.5b01291)
- Erk, Adam, Mottishaw, Jeff, Kramer, Jordan, Sun, Haoran, and Koppang, Miles. Using ESP Maps to visualize chemical reactivity in Sanger's reagent, 1846-1852. Vol. 92, Iss. 11. Journal of Chemical Education, 2015. (DOI: 10.1021/ed5006344)
- BaniKhaled, Mohammad ., Mottishaw, Jeffery D., and Sun, Haoran. Steering Power of Perfluoroalkyl Substituents in Crystal Engineering: Tuning the ?-?
Distance While Maintaining the Lamellar Packing Motif for Aromatics with Various Sizes
of ?-Conjugation, 2235-2242. Vol. 15, Iss. 5 . Cryst. Growth Des., 2015. (DOI: 10.1021/cg501894u)
- DiMagno, Stephen G., Biffinger, Justin C., and Sun, Haoran. Fluorinated Porphyrins and Corroles: Synthesis, Electrochemistry, and Applications. In Fluorine in Heterocyclic Chemistry, edited by Valentine Nenajdenko, 589-620. Vol. 1.. (DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-04346-3_14)
- Mottishaw, Jefferey, Cheng, Hai-Ping, Karasiev, Valentin, Fan, Qi-Hua, Sun, Haoran, and Kilin, Dmitri. Elucidating the role of non-radiative processes in charge transfer of model core-shell
Si:SiO2 nanoparticles. In Molecular Physics, 422-429. Vol. 112, Iss. 03-04. London: Molecular Physics, 2014. (DOI: 10.1080/00268976.2013.836606)
- Putta, Anjaneyulu, Mottishaw, Jeffery D., Wang, Zhihua, and Sun, Haoran. Rational Design of Lamellar ?-? Stacked Organic Crystalline Materials with Short Interplanar
Distance, 350-356. Vol. 14, Iss. 1. Crystal Growth & Design, 2014. (DOI: 10.1021/cg401637a)
- Mottishaw, Jeffery D., Sun, Haoran, and . Effects of Aromatic Trifluoromethylation, Fluorination, and Methylation on Intermolecular
?-? Interactions, 7970-7979. Vol. 117. J. Phys. Chme. A, 2013. (DOI: 10.1021/jp403679x)
- Wang, Zhihua, Putta, Anjaneyulu, Mottishaw, Jeffery D., Wei, Qiang, Wang, Hua, Sun, Haoran, and . Molecular Origin of Isomerization Effects on Solid State Structures and Optoelectronic
Properties: A Comparative Case Study of Isomerically Pure Dicyanomethylene Substituted
Fused Dithiophenes, 16759-16768. Vol. 117. J. Phys. Chem. C, 2013. (DOI: 10.1021/jp4033029)
- Sun, Haoran, and Wei, Qiang. Polyfluorinated Electrolyte Solutions and Additives for High Voltage Non-Flammable
Lithium Batteries, 349-354. Vol. 50, Iss. 26. ECS Transaction, 2013.
- Sun, Haoran, Putta, Anjaneyulu, and Billion, Michael. Arene Trifluoromethylation: An Effective Strategy to Obtain Air-Stable n-Type Organic
Semiconductors with Tunable Optoelectronic and Electron Transfer Properties, 8015-8022 . Vol. 116. J. Phys. Chem. A , 2012.
- Sun, Haoran, Tottempudi, Usha K., Mottishaw, Jeffery D., Basa, Prem N., Putta, Anjaneyulu, and Sykes, Andrew. Strengthening ?-? Interactions While Suppressing Csp2-H•••? (T-Shaped) Interactions
via Perfluoroalkylation: A Crystallographic and Computational Study That Supports
the Beneficial Formation of 1-D ?-? Stacked Aromatic Materials, 5655-5662. Vol. 12. Cryst. Growth Des. , 2012.
- Hoefelmeyer, James, Shende, Rajesh, Smirnova, Alevtina, Puszynski, Jan, Fong, Hao, Ahrenkiel, Phil, Koodali, Ranjit T., Sereda, Grigoriy, Kilin, Dmitri, Sun, Haoran, and others. THE SOUTH DAKOTA CATALYSIS GROUP, 194. Vol. 91. Published by the South Dakota Academy of Science, 2012.
- Sun, Haoran, Putta, Anjaneyulu, Kloster, Justin P., and Tottempudi, Usha K.. Unexpected photostability improvement of aromatics in polyfluorinated solvents., 12085-12087. Vol. 48. Chem. Commun. (Cambridge, U. K.), 2012.
- Sun, Haoran. Fluorinated Aromatic Compounds and Their Preparation and Use in Optoelectronics. PCT Int. Appl., WO 2011022678 A1 20110224., 2011.
- Biffinger, Justin C., Uppaluri, ShriHarsha, Sun, Haoran, and DiMagno, Stephen G.. Ligand Fluorination to Optimize Preferential Oxidation of Carbon Monoxide by Water-Soluble
Rhodium Porphyrins, 764-771. Vol. 1, Iss. 7. ACS Catalysis , 2011.
- Sun, Haoran, Koch, A ., and DiMagno, S G.. Rapid Preparation of Fluorinated Aromatic Heterocycles, ACS symposium series, 85-104 . Vol. 1003. ACS symposium series, 2009.
- Sun, Haoran, Wang, B, and DiMagno, S G.. A method for detecting water in organic solvents, 4413-4416. Vol. 10. Org. Lett. , 2008.
- Sun, Haoran, and DiMagno, S G.. Fluoride relay: a new concept for rapid preparation of anhydrous nucleophilic fluoride
salts from KF, 528-529. Chem. Commun. , 2007.
- Sun, Haoran, and DiMagno, S G.. Room-Temperature Nucleophilic Aromatic Fluorination: Experimental and Theoretical
Studies, 2720-2725. Vol. 45. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. , 2006.
- Sun, Haoran, and DiMagno, S G.. Anhydrous Tetrabutylammonium Fluoride, 2050-2051. Vol. 127. J. Am. Chem. Soc. , 2005.
- Sun, Haoran, Smirnov, V V., and DiMagno, S G.. Slow Electron Transfer Rates for Fluorinated Cobalt Porphyrins: Electronic and Conformational
Factors Modulating Metalloporphyrin ET, 6032-6040. Vol. 42. Inorg. Chem. , 2003.