Dr. Hongli Sun is an Assistant Professor in the Biomedical Engineering program at
the University of South Dakota (USD). Prior to his joining at USD, he worked as a
Research Fellow in the Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences at the University
of Michigan. Dr. Sun earned his Ph.D. degree in Cell Biology from Chinese Academy
of Sciences, Shanghai, China at 2007. Dr. Sun has authored several articles in peer-reviewed
journals including Biomaterials, Stem Cells, Tissue Engineering, ACS Nano, Journal
of Controlled Release and etc. In addition, he serves as a manuscript and grant reviewer
in bone, stem cells and tissue engineering related areas. His research is currently
funded by National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Science Foundation (NSF),
South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) and BioSystems Networks / Translational Research
Our long-term goal is to develop novel stem cells/biomaterials based- strategies for
musculoskeletal related diseases. We are currently interested in the following projects:
1)Promote endogenous bone formation by developing bio-mimicking nanofibrous 3D scaffolds;
2) Promote challenged bone repair by targeting angiogenesis and inflammation via local
drug delivery; 3) Study the role of adult stem cells and 3D microenvironment in bone
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Jordahl, Jacob, Solorio, Luis, Sun, Hongli, Ramcharan, Stacy, Teeple, Clark, Haley, Henry, Lee, Kyung Jin, Eyster, Thomas, Luker, Gary, Krebsbach, Paul, and Lahann, Joerg. 3D Jet Writing: Functional Microtissues Based on Tessellated Scaffold Architectures. Advanced Materials, 2018. (DOI: 10.1002/adma.201707196)
- Miszuk, Jacob M., Xu, Tao, Yao, Qingqing, Fang, Fang, Childs, Josh D., Hong, Zhongkui, Tao, Jianning, Fong, Hao, and Sun, Hongli. Functionalization of PCL-3D Electrospun Nanofibrous Scaffolds for Improved BMP2-Induced
Bone Formation. Applied Materials Today, 2017. (DOI: 10.1016/j.apmt.2017.12.004)
- Yao, Qingqing, Sandhurst, Eric, Liu, Yangxi, and Sun, Hongli. BBP-Functionalized Biomimetic Nanofibrous Scaffold Can Capture BMP2 and Promote Osteogenic
Differentiation, 5196-5205 . Vol. 5. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2017. (DOI: 10.1039/C7TB00744B)
- Lamichhane, Sujan, Anderson, Jordan, Vierhout, Thomas, Remund, Tyler, Sun, Hongli, and Kelly, Patrick. Polytetrafluoroethylene Topographies Determine the Adhesion, Activation, and Foreign
Body Giant Cell Formation of Macrophages.. Sioux Falls: Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2017. (DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.36099)
- Yao, Qingqing, Cosme, Jaqueline, Xu, Tao, Miszuk, Jacob, Picciani, Paulo, Fong, Hao, and Sun, Hongli. Three dimensional electrospun PCL/PLA blend nanofibrous scaffolds with significantly
improved stem cells osteogenic differentiation and cranial bone formation, 115-127. Vol. 115. Biomaterials, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.11.018)
- Yao, Qingqing, Liu, Yangxi, Tao, Jianning, Baumgarten, Keith, and Sun, Hongli. Hypoxia-mimicking nanofibrous scaffolds promote endogenous bone regeneration. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2016. (DOI: 10.1021/acsami.6b10538)
- Lamichhane, S, Anderson, J A., Remund, T, Sun, Hongli, Larson, M K., Kelly, P, and Mani, Gopinath. Responses of Endothelial Cells, Smooth Muscle Cells, and Platelets Dependent on the
Surface Topography of Polytetrafluoroethylene.. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A, 2016. (DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.35763)
- Xu, Tao, Miszuk, Jake, Zhao, Yong, Sun, Hongli, and Fong, Hao. Electrospun Polycaprolactone 3D Nanofibrous Scaffold with Interconnected and Hierarchically
Structured Pores for Bone Tissue Engineering.. Adv Healthc Mater, 2015. (DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201500345)
- Deshpande, S S., Gallagher, K K., Donneys, A, Nelson, N S., Guys, N P., Felice, P A., Page, E E., Sun, H, Krebsbach, P H., and Buchman, S R.. Stem cells rejuvenate radiation-impaired vasculogenesis in murine distraction osteogenesis, 799-806. Vol. 135, Iss. 3. Plast Reconstr Surg., 2015.
- Peterson, J R., De La Rosa, S, Sun, H, Eboda, O, Cilwa, K E., Donneys, A, Morris, M, Buchman, S R., Cederna, P S., Krebsbach, P H., Wang, S C., and Levi, B. Burn injury enhances bone formation in heterotopic ossification model, 993-8. Vol. 259, Iss. 5. Ann Surg, 2014.
- Havens, A M., Sun, H, Shiozawa, Y, Jung, Y, Wang, J, Mishra, A, Jiang, Y, O'Neill, D W., Krebsbach, P H., Rodgerson, D O., and Taichman, R S.. Human and murine very small embryonic-like cells represent multipotent tissue progenitors,
in vitro and in vivo, 689-701. Vol. 23, Iss. 7. Stem Cells Dev. , 2014.
- Sun, H, Zhu, F, Hu, Q, and H, P. Controlling stem cell-mediated bone regeneration through tailored mechanical properties
of collagen scaffolds, 1176-84. Vol. 35, Iss. 4. Biomaterials, 2014.
- Sun, H, Kim, J K., Mortensen, R, Mutyaba, L P., Hankenson, K D., and Krebsbach, P H.. Osteoblast-targeted suppression of PPAR? increases osteogenesis through activation
of mTOR signaling, 2183-92. Vol. 31, Iss. 10. Stem Cells, 2013.
- Deshpande, S S., Gallagher, K K., Donneys, A, Tchanque-Fossuo, C N., Sarhaddi, D, Sun, H, Krebsbach, P H., and Buchman, S R.. Stem cell therapy remediates reconstruction of the craniofacial skeleton after radiation
therapy, 1625-32. Vol. 22, Iss. 11. Stem Cells Dev. , 2013.
- Havens, A M., Shiozawa, Y, Jung, Y, Sun, H, Wang, J, McGee, S, Mishra, A, Taichman, L S., Danciu, T, Jiang, Y, Yavanian, G, Leary, E, Krebsbach, P H., Rodgerson, D, and Taichman, R S.. Human very small embryonic-like cells generate skeletal structures, in vivo., 622-30. Vol. 22, Iss. 4. Stem Cells Dev., 2013.
- Jung, Y, Kim, J K., Shiozawa, Y, Wang, J, Mishra, A, Joseph, J, Berry, J E., McGee, S, Lee, E, Sun, H, Wang, J, Jin, T, Zhang, H, Dai, J, Krebsbach, P H., Keller, E T., Pienta, K J., and Taichman, R S.. Recruitment of mesenchymal stem cells into prostate tumours promotes metastasis, 1795. Vol. 4. Nat Commun., 2013. (DOI: 10.1038/ncomms2766)
- Sun, H, Jung, Y, Shiozawa, Y, Taichman, R S., and Krebsbach, P H.. Erythropoietin modulates the structure of bone morphogenetic protein 2-engineered
cranial bone., 2095-105. Vol. 18, Iss. 19-20. Tissue Eng Part A, 2012. (DOI: 10.1089/ten.TEA.2011.0742.)
- Kim, J, Jung, Y, Sun, H, Joseph, J, Mishra, A, Shiozawa, Y, Wang, J, Krebsbach, P H., and Taichman, R S.. Erythropoietin mediated bone formation is regulated by mTOR signaling., 220-8. Vol. 113, Iss. 1. J Cell Biochem., 2012.
- Feng, K, Sun, H, Bradley, M A., Dupler, E J., Giannobile, W V., and Ma, P X.. Novel antibacterial nanofibrous PLLA scaffolds., 363-9. Vol. 146, Iss. 3. J Control Release, 2010.
- Zhang, J, Sun, H, and Ma, P X.. Host-guest interaction mediated polymeric assemblies: multifunctional nanoparticles
for drug and gene delivery, 1049-59. Vol. 4, Iss. 2. ACS Nano, 2010.
- Sun, H, Feng, K, Hu, J, Soker, S, Atala, A, and Ma, P X.. Osteogenic differentiation of human amniotic fluid-derived stem cells induced by bone
morphogenetic protein-7 and enhanced by nanofibrous scaffolds, 1133-9. Vol. 31, Iss. 6. Biomaterials, 2010.
- Huang, Y, Jin, X, Zhang, X, Sun, H, Tun, J, Tang, T, Chang, J, and Dai, K. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of akermanite bioceramics for bone regeneration., 5041-8. Vol. 30, Iss. 28. Biomaterials, 2009. (DOI: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2009.05.077)
- Sun, H, Dai, K, Tang, T, and Zhang, X. Regulation of osteoblast differentiation by slit2 in osteoblastic cells., 69-80. Vol. 190, Iss. 2. Cells Tissues Organs. , 2009. (DOI: 10.1159/000178020)
- Rui, Y, Wang, Y, Zhang, X, Sun, H, Qu, Z, and Dai, K. Construction and identification of recombinant retroviral vector containing human
interleukin 1 receptor antagonist and its expression in osteoarthritic human articular
chondrocytes, 533-8. Vol. 22, Iss. 5. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi, 2008.
- Sun, H, Wu, C, Dai, K, Chang, J, and Tang, T. Proliferation and osteoblastic differentiation of human bone marrow-derived stromal
cells on akermanite-bioactive ceramics., 5651-7. Vol. 27, Iss. 33. Biomaterials, 2006.