Dr. Jing Williams is a passionate social studies educator, who dedicates her life
to cultivating future teachers' civic competence and promoting the common guiding
principles that we should all live by in this global community, in hopes that one
day every single person will realize that we are all brothers and sisters of the same
human race and learn to treat each other with fairness, respect, and dignity, regardless
of ethnicity, socioeconomic status, nationalities, and personal beliefs and values.
Social Studies Methods, Global Education, Interdisciplinary Studies, and Community-Based
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Williams, Jing. Book review: Best practices in social studies assessment. New York, NY: Teachers College Record, 2018.
- Williams, Jing, and Johnson, Mary. What were the psychological motivations of the Nanjing Safety Zone Committee. In Global Learning Based on the C3 Framework in the K-12 Social Studies Classroom, edited by Brad Maguth & Gloria Wu. Silver Spring, MD: National Council for the Social Studies [NCSS], 2018.
- Williams, Jing, and Gapp, Susan. Counting on Grace. In Notable books, notable lessons: Putting social studies back in the K-8 curriculum, edited by Andrea S. Libresco, Jeannette Balantic, Mary Battenfeld. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2017.
- Williams, Jing, and Johnson, Mary. The Nanjing Safety Zone: The dilemma of creating a protective wall. In Mending walls: Historical, socio-political, economic and geographic perspectives, edited by Richard Diem, Michael Berson, 159-174. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2017.
- Williams, Jing, and Reeves, Deborah. If musical instruments could talk: Musical instrument artifacts in the social studies
classroom, 57-72. Vol. 5, Iss. 1. Oregon Journal of the Social Studies, 2017.
- Doppen, Frans H., An, Jing, and Diki, Kristin. Why do student teachers go global, 85-95. Vol. 40, Iss. 2. Journal of Social Studies Research, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jssr.2015.05.002)
- An, Jing. Micro-study reveals flaws in pedagogy: A study of social promotion in Tianjin, China, 23-43. Vol. 44, Iss. 2. International Education, 2015.
- Doppen, Frans H., and An, Jing. Student teaching abroad: Enhancing global awareness, 59-75. Vol. 43, Iss. 2. International Education, 2014.