Kory Zimney, PT, DPT is an assistant professor at the University of South Dakota School
of Health Sciences Physical Therapy Department. He received his Master of Physical
Therapy from the University of North Dakota in 1994. He completed his post-professional
Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Des Moines University in 2010. Currently he is
in the candidacy phase of the PhD Physical Therapy program at Nova Southeastern University.
Dr. Zimney is part of the Brain and Behavioral Research Center at the University of
South Dakota and the Therapeutic Neuroscience Research Group conducting research specifically
in the areas of pain neuroscience education and therapeutic alliance. He also provides
teaching instruction as a Senior Faculty member with International Spine and Pain
Institute in partnership with Evidence in Motion.
Evidence Based Practice, Pain Neuroscienc, Modalities, Health Care Management, Orthopedics
Pain neuroscience education, therapeutic alliance, Graded Motor Imagery
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Louw, Adriaan, Puentedura, Emilio, Zimney, Kory, Cox, Terry, and Rico, Debra. The Clinical Implementation of Pain Neuroscience Education: A Survey Study, 869-879. Vol. 33, Iss. 11. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 2017. (DOI: 10.1080/09593985.2017.1359870)
- Zimney, Kory, Wassinger, Craig A., Goranson, James, Kingsbury, Tarkington, Kuhn, Taylor, and Morgan, Sarah. The reliability of card-based and tablet-based left/right judgment measurements.. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice, 2017.
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, Johnson, Eldon A., Kraemer, Chris, Fesler, Justin, and Burcham, Tyler. De-educate to re-educate: aging and low back pain, 1-9. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, 2017.
- Fercho, Kelene A., Baugh, Lee A., Louw, Adriaan, and Zimney, Kory. Pain neuroscience education effect on pain matrix processing in an individual with
complex regional pain syndrome: a single-subject research design. Edited by Meeus, Mira; Lundberg, Mari, e583. Vol. 2, Iss. 1. Pain Reports, 2017. (DOI: 10.1097/PR9.0000000000000583)
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, and Landers, Merrill. Assessing posture in the individual with fibromyalgia, what's the value?, 15-23. Vol. Winter 2017, Iss. 42. Pain and Rehabilitation: The Journal of the Physiotherapy Pain Association, 2017.
- Ness, Brandon, Zimney, Kory, and Schweinle, William. Analysis of gauntlet test performance and injury risk in intercollegiate Division
I female soccer players: a retrospective study. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 2016.
- Louw, Adriaan, Diener, Ina, Landers, Merrill R., Zimney, Kory, and Puentedura, Emilio J.. Three-year follow-up of an RCT comparing preoprative neuroscience education for patients
undergoing surgery for lumbar radiculopathy, 298-298. Vol. 2, Iss. 4. International Journal of Spine Surgery, 2016.
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, Landers, Merrill, Luttrell, Mark, Clair, Bob, and Mills, Joshua. A Randomised Controlled Trial of "Clockwise" Ultrasound for Low Back Pain, 7. Vol. 72, Iss. 1. South African Journal of Physiotherapy, 2016.
- Louw, Adriaan, Puentedura, Emilio "Louie" J., and Zimney, Kory. Teaching patients about pain: It works, but what should we call it?, 328-331. Vol. 32, Iss. 5. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 2016. (DOI: 10.1080/09593985.2016.1194669)
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, and Puentedura, Emilio. Retention of pain neuroscience knowledge: a multi-centre trial. Edited by Professor Leigh Hale, 93-98. Vol. 44, Iss. 2. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, 2016. (DOI: DOI: 10.15619/NZJP/44.2.05)
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, O'Hotto, Chrsitine, and Hilton, Sandra. The clinical application of teaching people about pain. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 2016. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593985.2016.1194652)
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, Puentedura, Emilio J., and Diener, Ina. The efficacy of pain neuroscience education on musculoskeletal pain: A systematic
review of the literature. Vol. 32, Iss. 5. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 2016. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593985.2016.1194646)
- Louw, Adriaan, Puentedura, Emilio J., Zimney, Kory, and Schmidt, Stephen. Know Pain, Know Gain? A Perspective on Pain Neuroscience Education in Physical Therapy, 131-134. Vol. 46, Iss. 3. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapay, 2016. (DOI: doi:10.2519/jospt.2016.0602)
- Louw, Adriaan, Puentedura, Emilio J., and Zimney, Kory. A Clinical Contrast: Physical Therapists with Low Back Pain Treating Patients with
Low Back Pain, 562-567. Vol. 31, Iss. 8. Physiotherapy and Practice, 2015. (DOI: 10.3109/09593985.2015.1062944)
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, and Louw, Colleen. Why Are My Nerves So Sensitive?, 82. Story City, IA: International Spine and Pain Institute, 2014.
- Zimney, Kory. Moving Past the Normalization Heuristic to Unravel the Mystery of Pain, 2. Vol. 1, Iss. 4. Phys Med Rehabil Int, 2014.
- Zimney, Kory, Louw, Adriaan, and Puentedura, Emilio J.. Use of Therapeutic Neuroscience Education to address Psychosocial Factors Associated
with Acute Low Back Pain: A Case Report, 202-209. Vol. 30, Iss. 3. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 2014. (DOI: 10.3109/09593985.2013.856508)
- Louw, Adriaan, Farrell, Kevin, Zimney, Kory, Feller, Kyle, Jones, Carly, Martin, Bailey, Rettenmeier, Meghan, Theisen, Megan, and Wedeking, David. Pain and Decreased Range of Motion in Knees and Shoulders: A Brief Sensory Remapping
Intervention, 20-30. Iss. 43 (Summer 2017). Pain and Rehabilitation.
- Louw, Adriaan, Zimney, Kory, Cox, Terry, O'Hotto, Chris, and Wassinger, Craig. The Experiences and Beliefs of Patients with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: An Exploratory
Survey Study, 1-15. Vol. 0, Iss. 0. Chronic Illness. (DOI: 10.1177/1742395317709329)
- Louw, Adriaan, Podolak, Jessie, Zimney, Kory, Schmidt, Steve, and Puentedura, Emilio J.. Can Pain Beliefs Change in Middle School Students? A Study of the Effectiveness of
Pain Neuroscience Education. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.
- Louw, Adriaan, Puentedura, Emilio, Landers, Merrill, Zimney, Kory, and Reed, Jordan. Immediate Effects of Preoperative Pain Neuroscience Education for Patients Undergoing
Total Knee Arthroplasty: a case series.. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.
- Louw, Adriaan, Puentedura, Emilio, Zimney, Kory, and Cox, Terry. Which Pain Neuroscience Education Metaphor Works Best?. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.