The primary research interests of the Baugh Lab are examining the cognitive and neuropsychological
foundations of skilled movement, and deficits in such movement that can arise both
from healthy aging and neurological damage. Although psychologists and neuroscientists
have often described the brain as having the primary duty of generating thoughts and
ideas, without having the ability to act upon our environment, these cognitions would
serve little purpose. Our lab examines questions related to how our brain represents
and utilizes the information required to successfully interact with our surroundings.
This question is one of fundamental importance in cognitive neuroscience, breaching
the gaps between the brain, the mind, and the outside world. To address this topic,
the lab utilizes a multi-disciplinary approach that encompasses traditional cognitive
psychology methodologies, neuropsychological patient investigations, fMRI paradigms,
EMG, and the detailed analysis of movement kinematics.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Wang, X.T., Huangfu, G., Baugh, Lee A., and Fercho, Kelene A.. Resource Forecasting and Intertemporal Decision Making: Signaling Effects of Blood
Glucose on Delay Discounting and Impulsivity., 101-110. Vol. 121. Appetite, 2018.
- Brown-Rice, Kathleen, Scholl, Jamie, Fercho, Kelene, Pearson, Kami, Kallsen, Noah, Davies, Gareth, Ehli, Erik, Olson, Seth, Schweinle, Amy, Baugh, Lee A., and Forster, Gina. Neural and Psychological Characteristics of College Students with Alcoholic Parents
Differ Depending on Current Alcohol Use. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 2017. (DOI: 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2017.09.010)
- Forster, Gina, Simons, Raluca, and Baugh, Lee A.. Revisiting the Role of the Amygdala in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.. In The Amygdala - Where Emotions Shape Perception, Learning and Memories..
- Fercho, Kelene A., Baugh, Lee A., Louw, Adriaan, and Zimney, Kory. Pain neuroscience education effect on pain matrix processing in an individual with
complex regional pain syndrome: a single-subject research design. Edited by Meeus, Mira; Lundberg, Mari, e583. Vol. 2, Iss. 1. Pain Reports, 2017. (DOI: 10.1097/PR9.0000000000000583)
- Simons, R M., Simons, J S., Olson, D, Baugh, Lee A., Magnotta, V, and Forster, G. PTSD and Alcohol Use Among Veterans: Amygdala and Anterior Cingulate fMRI Activation
to Emotional Cues. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 2016.
- Baugh, Lee A., Yak, A, Johansson, R S., and Flanagan, J R.. Representing multiple object weights: competing priors and sensorimotor memories. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2016.
- Fercho, K A., Baugh, Lee A., and Hanson, E. Effects of alphabet-supplemented speech on brain activity of listeners: An fMRI study...
- Fercho, Kelene, and Baugh, Lee A.. It's too quick to blame myself - the effects of fast and slow rates of change on credit
assignment during object lifting.. Vol. 8. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2014.
- Stuart, B M., Gallivan, J, Baugh, Lee A., and Flanagan, J R.. Motor, not visual, encoding of potential reach targets, R953-954. Vol. 24. Current Biology, 2014.
- Reichelt, Andreas, Ash, Alyssa, Baugh, Lee A., Johansson, Roland S., and Flanagan, J. R.. Adaptation of lift forces in object manipulation through action observation, 221-234. Vol. 228. Experimental Brain Research, 2013.
- Stewart, Brandie M., Baugh, Lee A., Gallivan, Jason, and Flanagan, J. R.. Simultaneous encoding of the direction and orientation of potential targets during
reach planning: evidence of multiple competing reach plans., 807-816. Vol. 110. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2013.
- Lawrence-Dewar, Jane M., Baugh, Lee A., and Marotta, Jonathan J.. Behavioural distinction between strategic control and spatial realignment during visuomotor
adaptation in a Viewing Window task.. Vol. 7, Iss. 11. PLoS One, 2012. (DOI: 10.371.journal.pone.0048759.)
- Baugh, Lee A., Hoe, Erica, and Flanagan, J. R.. Hand-held tools with complex kinematics are efficiently incorporated into movement
planning and on-line control., 1594-1964. Vol. 108. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2012. (DOI: 10.1152/jn.00157.2012)
- Baugh, Lee A., Kao, Michelle, Johansson, Roland S., and Flanagan, J. R.. Material Evidence-interaction of well-learned priors and sensorimotor memory when
lifting objects., 1262-1269. Vol. 108. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2012. (DOI: 10.1152/jn.00263.2012)
- Baugh, Lee A., and Flanagan, J R.. Motor Memory: A declaration of non-independence., R70-72. Vol. 21. Current Biology, 2012.
- Baugh, Lee A., and Flanagan, J. R.. Motor Memory: When plans speak louder than actions., R155-157. Vol. 22. Current Biology, 2011.
- Baugh, Lee A., Lawrence, Jane, and Marotta, Jonathan J.. Novel insular cortex activation observed during a visuomotor adaptation task using
a viewing window paradigm, 395-402. Vol. 223. Behavioural Brain Research, 2011.
- Lawrence, Jane M., Abhari, Kamyar, Prime, Steven L., Meek, Benjamin P., Desanghere, Loni, Baugh, Lee A., and Marotta, Jonathan J.. Novel integrative method for analyzing eye and hand behaviour during grasping in an
MRI environment, 399-408. Vol. 43. Behavior Research Methods, 2011.
- Baugh, Lee A., Desanghere, Loni, and Marotta, Jonathan J.. Agnosia. In Encyclopedia of Behavioral Neuroscience, 27-33. Vol. 1. London, Oxford: Academic Press, Elsevier Science, 2009.
- Baugh, Lee A., and Marotta, Jonathan J.. When what's left is right: Visuomotor transformations in an Aged Population., e5484. Vol. 4. PLoS One, 2009. (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0005484.)
- Baugh, Lee A.. A new window into the interactions between perception and action., 128-134. Vol. 160. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 2007.
- Simons, Raluca, Simons, Jeffery, olson, dawn, Baugh, Lee A., Magnotta, vince, and Forster, Gina. PTSD and Alcohol Use Among Veterans: Amygdala and Anterior Cingulate fMRI Activation
to Emotional Cues. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.