Ecology, Biostatistics, Introduction to River Studies, Landscape Ecology, Senior Seminar
Landscape Ecology, Plant and Avian Ecology, Riparian Ecosystems, Large River Ecology
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Swanson, David, Dixon, Mark, and Palmer, Jeffrey. A Reassessment of Virginia's Warbler Distribution in the Black Hills of South Dakota, 214-226. Vol. 47. Western Birds, 2016.
- Millikin, Alice R., Jarchow, Meghann, Olmstead, Karen L., Krentz, Rustan E., and Dixon, Mark. Site preparation drives long-term plant community dynamics in restored tallgrass prairie:
A case study in southeastern South Dakota. Environmental Management, 2016. (DOI: 10.1007/s/00267-016-0736-9)
- Dixon, Mark, and Stella, John C.. Temporal variability in hydrology modifies the influence of geomorphology on wetland
distribution along a desert stream: a commentary on Dong et al. 2015, 31-32. Vol. 104. Journal of Ecology, 2016. (DOI: doi: 10.1111/1365-2745.12499)
- Munes, Eszter C., Dixon, Mark, Swanson, David, Merkord, Christopher L., and Benson, Adam R.. Large, infrequent disturbance on a regulated river: response of floodplain forest
birds to the 2011 Missouri River flood, 19. Vol. 6, Iss. 11 (Article 212). Ecosphere, 2015.
- Boudell, Jere, Dixon, Mark, Rood, Stewart B., and Stromberg, Juliet C.. Restoring functional Riparian Ecosystems: Concepts and Applications, 747-752. Vol. 8, Iss. 5. Ecohydrology, 2015.
- Dixon, Mark, Boever, Christopher J., Danzeisen, Victoria L., Merkord, Christopher L., Munes, Eszter C., Scott, Michael L., Johnson, W C., and Cowman, Tim. Effects of a "natural" flood event on the riparian ecosystem of a regulated large-river
system: the 2011 flood on the Missouri River, USA, 812-824. Vol. 8, Iss. 5. Ecohydrology, 2015. (DOI: 10.1002/eco.1613)
- Johnson, W. C., Volke, Malia A., Scott, Michael L., and Dixon, Mark. The dammed Missouri: prospects for recovering Lewis and Clark's river, 765-771. Vol. 8, Iss. 5. Ecohydrology, 2015. (DOI: 10.1002/eco.1534)
- Broadbent, Craig D., Brookshire, David S., Goodrich, David, Dixon, Mark, Brand, L A., Thacher, Jennifer, and Stewart, Steve. Valuing Preservation and Restoration Alternatives for Ecosystem Services in the Southwestern
U.S., 851-862. Vol. 8, Iss. 5. Ecohydrology, 2015.
- Volke, Malia A., Scott, Michael L., Johnson, W C., and Dixon, Mark. The Ecological Significance of Emerging Deltas in Regulated Rivers, 598-611. Vol. 65, Iss. 6. BioScience, 2015.
- Dixon, Mark. Book review. Wetland Environments: A Global Perspective, 507-508. Vol. 75. Ecological Engineering, 2015. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoleng.2014.09.002)
- Scott, Michael L., Auble, Gregor T., Dixon, Mark, Johnson, W C., and Rabbe, Lisa A.. Long-term cottonwood forest dynamics along the upper Missouri River, USA, 1016-1029. Vol. 29. River Research and Applications, 2013. (DOI: 10.1002/rra.2588)
- Brand, L A., Dixon, Mark, Fetz, Trevor, Stromberg, Juliet C., Stewart, Steve, Garber, Gail, Goodrich, David C., Brookshire, David S., Broadbent, Craig D., and Benedict, Karl. Projecting avian guild responses to landscape management along the Middle Rio Grande,
New Mexico, 150-162. Vol. 58, Iss. 2. Southwestern Naturalist, 2013. (DOI: 10.1894/0038-4909-58.2.150)
- Stromberg, Juliet C., McCluney, Kevin E., Dixon, Mark, and Meixner, Thomas. Dryland riparian ecosystems in the American Southwest: Sensitivity and resilience
to climatic extremes, 411-415. Vol. 16. Ecosystems, 2013. (DOI: 10.1007/s10021-012-9606-3)
- Dixon, Mark, Johnson, W C., Scott, Michael L., Bowen, Daniel E., and Rabbe, Lisa A.. Dynamics of plains cottonwood (Populus deltoides) forests and historical landscape
change along unchannelized segments of the Missouri River, USA, 990-1008. Vol. 49. Environmental Management, 2012. (DOI: 10.1007/s00267-012-9842-5)
- Johnson, W C., Dixon, Mark, Scott, Michael L., Rabbe, Lisa, Larson, Gary, Volke, Malia, and Werner, Brett. Forty years of vegetation change on the Missouri River floodplain, 123-135. Vol. 62, Iss. 2. BioScience, 2012. (DOI: 10.1525/bio.2012.62.2.6)
- Yager, LIsa A., Dixon, Mark, Cowman, Tim, and Soluk, Daniel. Historic changes (1941-2008) in side channel and backwater habitats within an unchannelized
reach of the Missouri River.. River Research and Applications, 2011. (DOI: 10.1002/rra.1614)
- Brand, L A., Stromberg, J C., Goodrich, D C., Dixon, Mark, Lansey, K, Kang, D, Brookshire, D S., and Cerasale, D J.. Projecting avian response to linked change in groundwater and riparian floodplain
vegetation along a dryland river: a scenario analysis., 130-142. Vol. 4, Iss. 1. Ecohydrology, 2011. (DOI: DOI: 10.1002/eco.143)
- Stromberg, J C., Lite, S J., and Dixon, Mark. Effects of stream flow patterns on riparian vegetation of a semiarid river: implications
for a changing climate, 712-729. Vol. 26, Iss. 6. River Research and Applications , 2010. (DOI: DOI: 10.1002/rra.1272)
- Brookshire, D S., Goodrich, D, Dixon, Mark, Brand, L A., Benedict, K, Lansey, K, Thacher, J, Broadbent, C D., Stewart, S, Mcintosh, M, and Kang, D. Ecosystem services and reallocation choices: A framework for preserving semi-arid
regions in the Southwest, 60-74. Vol. 144. Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education, 2010.
- Galbraith, H, Dixon, Mark, Stromberg, J C., and Price, J T.. Predicting climate change risks to riparian ecosystems in arid watersheds. In Environmental Risk Assessment and Management from a Landscape Perspectiv, edited by Kapustka, L., W. Landis, and A. Johnson , 187-202. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010.
- Dixon, Mark. Book review of: Waiting for Coyote's Call: An Eco-memoir from the Missouri River Bluff,
by Jerry Wilson, 71-72. Vol. 30, Iss. 1. Great Plains Quarterly, 2010.
- Stromberg, J C., Rychener, T J., and Dixon, Mark. Return of fire to a free-flowing desert river: effects on vegetation, 327-338. Vol. 17, Iss. 3. Restoration Ecology, 2009. (DOI: DOI: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2007.00347.x)
- Dixon, Mark, Stromberg, Juliet C., Price, Jeff T., Galbraith, Hector, Fremier, Alex K., and Larsen, Eric W.. Potential effects of climate change on the upper San Pedro riparian ecosystem. In Ecology and Conservation of the San Pedro River, edited by J. C. Stromberg and B. Tellman. Tucson, Arizona: University of Arizona Press, 2009.
- Dixon, Mark, Johnson, W C., Scott, Michael L., and Bowen, Daniel. Status and Trend of Cottonwood Forests along the Missouri River. Final Report to US
Army Corps of Engineers., 111 pages..