I conduct a variety of research projects related to sedimentology & geomorphology.
My expertise is in the generation, transport and deposition of dust.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Sweeney, Mark, Zlotnik, V, Joeckel, R M., and Stout, J. Dust emissions from the Yellow Lake playa-lunette system, West Texas, USA. In Journal of Arid Environments, 37-46. Vol. 133. Elsevier, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.aridenv.2016.05.007)
- King, Georgina, Pearce, Nicholas, Roberts, Helen, Smith, Victoria, Westgate, John, Gaylord, David, and Sweeney, Mark. Identification of a Kulshan caldera correlative tephra in the Palouse loess of Washington
State, northwest USA. In Quaternary Research, 232-241. Vol. 86. Elsevier, 2016. (DOI: 10.1016/j.yqres.2016.06.004)
- Sweeney, Mark, and Jarchow, Meghann. Using the Missouri River to Integrate Science and Sustainability Across the Curriculum, 5-6. Vol. 6, Iss. 3. National Association of Geoscience Teachers In The Trenches, 2016.
- Baker, Victor, Bjornstad, Bruce, Gaylord, David, Smith, Gary, Meyer, Scott, Alho, Petteri, Breckenridge, Roy, Sweeney, Mark, and Zereda, Marek. Pleistocene megaflood landscapes of the Channeled Scabland. In Exploring the Geology of the Inland Northwest: Geological Society of America Field
Guide, edited by Lewis, R.S. and Schmidt, K.I., 1-73. Vol. 41. Geological Society of America, 2016. (DOI: 10.1120/2016.0041(01))
- Sweeney, Mark, Lu, Huayu, Cui, Mengchun, Mason, Joseph, Feng, Han, and Xu, Ziewei. Sand dunes as potential sources of dust in northern China. In Science China: Earth Science, 760-769. Vol. 59, Iss. 4. Springer, 2016. (DOI: 10.1007/s11430-015-5246-8)
- Ujvari, Gabor, Stevens, Thomas, Svensson, Anders, Klotzli, Urs, Manning, Christina, Nemeth, Tibor, Kovacs, Janos, Sweeney, Mark, Gocke, Martina, Wiesenberg, Guido, Markovic, Slobodon, and Zech, Michael. Two possible source regions for central Greenland last glacial dust. In Geophysical Research Letters, 10399-10408. Vol. 42, Iss. 23.. (DOI: 10.1002/2015GL066153)
- Cui, Mengchun, Lu, Huayu, Sweeney, Mark, Mason, Joseph, Feng, Han, and Xu, Ziewei. PM10 emission flux in the Tengger Desert and Mu Us sand field, northern China, measured
by PI-SWERL (in Chinese). In Chinese Science Bulletin, 1-10. Vol. 60.. (DOI: 10.1360/N972014-01157)
- Sweeney, Mark, and Mason, Joe. Mechanisms of dust emission from Pleistocene loess deposits, Nebraska, USA. Vol. 118. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 2013.
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, Eric, and Markley, Christopher. Alluvial sediment or playas: what is the dominant source of sand and silt in desert
soil Av horizons, southwest USA. Vol. 118. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 2013.
- Loope, David, Elder, Jim, and Sweeney, Mark. Downslope coarsening in aeolian grainflows of the Navajo Sandstone, 156-162. Vol. 265-266. Sedimentary Geology/ Elsevier, 2012.
- McDonald, Eric, Sweeney, Mark, and Busacca, Alan. Glacial outburst floods and loess sedimentation documented during oxygen isotope stage
4 on the Columbia Plateau, Washington State, 18-30. Vol. 45. Quaternary Science Reviews/ Elsevier, 2012.
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, E, and Etyemezian, V. Quantifying dust emissions from desert landforms, eastern Mojave Desert, USA, 21-34. Vol. 135. Geomorphology/Elsevier, 2011. (DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2011.07.022)
- King, James, Etyemezian, Vic, Sweeney, Mark, Buck, Brenda, and Nikolich, George. Dust emission variability at the Salton Sea, California, USA, 67-79. Vol. 3. Aeolian Research/ Elsevier, 2011. (DOI: 10.1016/j.aeolia.2001.03.005)
- Kavouras, I, Etyemezian, V, Nikolich, G, Gillies, J, Sweeney, Mark, Young, M, and Shafer, D. A new technique for characterizing the efficacy of fugitive dust suppressants, 603-612. Vol. 59. Journal of Air and Waste Management/Air and Waste Management Assoc, 2009.
- Sweeney, Mark, Etyemezian, V, Macpherson, T, Nickling, W, Gillies, J, Nikolich, G, and McDonald, E. Comparison of PI-SWERL with dust emission measurements from a straight-line field
wind tunnel. Vol. 113. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface/Americal Geophysical Union, 2008. (DOI: 10.1029/2007JF000830)
- Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, E, Etyemezian, V, Caldwell, T, Bacon, S, Baker, S, DuBois, D, and King, J. Assessment of potential playa and lake analogues to the Salton Sea in support of the
Programmatic Environmental Impact Report. In Prepared for the California Department of Water Resources, 60. Reno, NV: Desert Research Institute, 2007.
- Sweeney, Mark, Busacca, A J., and Gaylord, D R.. Eureka Flat: a long-term dust-production engine of the Palouse loess, Pacific Northwest,
USA, 76-96. Vol. 162-163. Quaternary International/Elsevier, 2007.
- Etyemezian, V, Nikolich, G, Ahonen, S, Pitchford, M, Sweeney, Mark, Purcell, R, Gillies, J, and Kuhns, H. The Portable In-Situ Wind Erosion Laboratory (PI-SWERL): A new method to measure PM10
windblown dust properties and potential for emissions, 3789-3796. Vol. 41. Atmospheric Environment/Elsevier, 2007.
- Etyemezian, V, Sweeney, Mark, McDonald, E, Caldwell, T, Gillies, J, Nikolich, G, and Xu, J. Measurement of windblown dust emission potential and soil characteristics at the Salton
Sea in support of the Programmatic Environmental Impact Report: Final Report.. In Prepared for the California Department of Water Resources, 177. Reno, NV: Desert Research Institute, 2006.