I am an anthropologist and archaeologist who primarily works at the site of Chavin
de Huantar in the Peruvian Andes. My work focuses on the ecological, agricultural,
economic, and ritual practices of people in the Andes. Prior to coming to USD I was
a post-doctoral fellow at Stanford from 2010-2011.
Anthropology, pedagogy, increased access of underrepresented populations, interactive
learning, and collaboration across departments.
Teach for America alumnus, 1999-2001.
Andean Archaeology, Historical Ecology, Sustainability, Agriculture, Ritual, and Food.
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Rosenfeld, Silvana, and Sayre, Matthew. Llamas on the Land. Production and Consumption of Meat at Chavín de Huántar, Peru, 497-511. Vol. 27, Iss. 4. Latin American Antiquity, 2016.
- Sayre, Matthew. Digital Archaeology in the Rural Andes: Problems and Prospects. In Mobilizing the Past for a Digital Future. North Dakota: Digital Press of the University of North Dakota, 2016.
- Sayre, Matthew, Miller, Melanie, and Rosenfeld, Silvana. Isotopic Evidence for the Trade and Production of Exotic Marine Mammal Bone Artifacts
at Chavi?n de Hua?ntar, Peru. Edited by E. Gliozzo; Y. Bassiakos; C. Tuniz; D.Q. Fuller; J. Burger; N.J. Conard; S. Shennan;
C.E. Miller, 403-417. Vol. 8. Springer: Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences, 2016. (DOI: 10.1007/s12520-015-0230-y )
- Sayre, Matthew, Cano, Asuncion, and Trinidad, Huber. Cultural Heritage, Tourism, and Site Sustainability at the UNESCO World Heritage site
of Chavín de Huántar, 47-55. Vol. 11. Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability: Annual Review, 2015.
- Sayre, Matthew. Into the Field: Modern Methods in an Archaeology Field School. Vermillion, SD: South Dakota Public Broadcasting, 2015.
- Sayre, Matthew. Ceremonial Plants in the Andean Region. In Crops and People: Choices and Diversity through Time, edited by A. Chevalier, E. Marinova, L. Pena-Chocarro, 368-373. Brussells: European Science Foundation/Early Agricultural Remnants and Technical Heritage Program, 2014.
- Sayre, Matthew. Student-initiated Projects, the Flipped Classroom, and Crowdfunding. In Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Record, edited by Anna Prentiss, 14-18. Vol. 14, Iss. 1. Washington, D.C.: Society for American Archaeology, 2014.
- Sayre, Matthew. Archaeology students have the experience of a lifetime at Peru dig. Peru this Week, 2013.
- Sayre, Matthew. An Andean domesticate adapts to climate change, 25-31. Vol. 91. Proceedings of the South Dakota Academy of Science, 2012.
- Sayre, Matthew. A Marked Preference: Chicha de molle and Huari State Consumption Practices. Edited by Jerry Moore, 231-258. Vol. 32, Iss. 2. Berkeley, CA: Nawpa Pacha/Left Coast Press, 2012. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/naw.2012.32.2.231)
- Cane, Rachel, Cuthrell, Rob, Sayre, Matthew, Soluri, Elizabeth, and Hastorf, Christine. The life of building 3 through plant use: The macrobotanical evidence of Neolithic
dwelling from the Berkeley Archaeology at Catalhoyuk (BACH) excavation 1997-2003". In House Lives: Building, Inhabiting, Excavating a House at Catalhoyuk, Turkey: Reports
from the BACH Area, Catalhoyuk, 1997-2003. Los Angeles, California: Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at UCLA, 2012.
- Rick, John, Mesia, Christian, Rick, Rosa, Kembel, Silvia, Contreras, Daniel, Sayre, Matthew, and Wolf, John. La Cronología de Chavín de Huántar y sus implicancias para el Periodo Formativo. In Boletin de Arqueología. Vol. 12. Lima, Peru: Fondo Editorial Pontifica Universidad Catolica Peruana, 2011.
- Sayre, Matthew, and Lopez Aldave, Natali. Exchange at Chavin de Huantar: insights from shell data, 340-345. Vol. 9. Andean Past, 2010.
- Sayre, Matthew, and Lopez Aldave, Natali., 340-345. Vol. 9. Ithaca, NY: Andean Past, 2010.
- Sayre, Matthew. Chronicling Indigenous Accounts of the Emergence of Agriculture in the Americas. In Rethinking Agriculture: Archaeological and Ethnoarchaeological Perspectives, edited by T. Denham, J. Iriarte, and L. Vrydaghs. Vol. One World Series. Tucson, AZ: Left Coast Press, 2007.
- Mayer, Aaron, Sayre, Matthew, and Jennings, Justin. Coming Together to Toast and Feed the Dead in the Cotahuasi Valley of Peru. Journal of Ethnobiology Letters.
- Sayre, Matthew. Social Perspectives on Ancient Lives from Paleothnobotanical Data. Springer Press.
- Bruno, Maria, and Sayre, Matthew. Towards a Social Paleoethnobotany: An Introduction. In Social Perspectives on Environmental Archaeology, edited by Sayre, M. and Bruno, M.. Springer Press.
- Sayre, Matthew. The Historicity of the 'Early Horizon'. In "Constructions of Time and History in the Pre-Columbian Andes, edited by Andrew Roddick and Edward Swenson. University of Colorado Press.
- Sayre, Matthew. A Synonym for Sacred: Vilca use in the Pre-hispanic Andes. Edited by Scott Fitzpatrick. Gainseville, FL: University of Florida Press.