Dr. Wang received his B.S. degree in 2000 from Peking University (China). He then
went on to pursue his graduate studies at the University of South Florida (Tampa)
and received his PhD degree in Inorganic Chemistry in 2006. He did his postdoctoral
work at U.C. San Diego before joining the chemistry department at the U in July, 2010.
Inorganic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Supramolecular/Materials Chemistry,
General Chemistry Laboratory, Organic Chemistry Laboratory
The general theme of our research is to discover molecules with unique structure and
function. We are especially interested in applying a molecular building block approach
to design supramolecular materials such as coordination polymers, metal-organic frameworks,
and organic or metal-organic polyhedra. These supramolecular assemblies display a
range of hierarchical structural features that mimic biological systems such as proteins
and DNA and they are expected to exhibit functional properties that are not matched
by their molecular precursors. We aim to explore these materials for a number of applications,
particularly in the areas of alternative energy and environment, two of the greatest
challenges facing the society today. Currently we are actively pursuing: 1) porous
materials capable of selective gas adsorption (e.g., hydrogen storage and carbon dioxide
capture); 2) supramolecular catalysts that activate small molecules (e.g., carbon
dioxide reduction); 3) smart materials that respond to external stimuli (e.g., sensing
and drug delivery).
Citations listed below are presented in a standardized, modified format for
display purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the preferred style and conventions
of the faculty member or discipline.
- Qiao, Yupu, Zhang, Long, Li, Jia, Lin, Wei, and Wang, Zhenqiang. Switching on Supramolecular Catalysis via Cavity Mediation and Electrostatic Regulation, 12778-12782. Vol. 55. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2016. (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201606847)
- Sapp, Wendi, , Adam E., Wang, Zhenqiang, and Kilin, Dmitri. Electronic and spectral properties of a metal-organic super container molecule by, 394-399. MOLECULAR PHYSICS, 2016. (DOI: 10.1080/00268976.00262015.01076899)
- Dai, Feng-Rong, , Yupu Q., and Wang, Zhenqiang. Designing structurally tunable and functionally versatile synthetic supercontainers, 243-249. Vol. 3. Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers, 2016. (DOI: 10.1039/c5qi00212e)
- Jia, Li, Sun, Hao-Ling, and Wang, Zhenqiang. Crystal structures and luminescent properties of new lanthanide(III) complexes derived
from 2-phenyl-4-pyrimidinecarboxylate, 96855-96861. Vol. 5, Iss. 117. RSC Advances, 2015. (DOI: 10.1039/c5ra21607a)
- Netzer, Nathan L., Dai, Feng-Rong, Wang, Zhenqiang, and Jiang, Chaoyang. pH-Modulated Molecular Assemblies and Surface Properties of Metal-Organic Supercontainers
at the Air-Water Interface, 10965-10969. Vol. 53, Iss. 41. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014. (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201406733)
- Dai, Feng-Rong, Dustin, Dustin C., and Wang, Zhenqiang. Modulating guest binding in sulfonylcalixarene-based metal-organic supercontainers, 5385-5387. Vol. 50. Chemical Communications, 2014. (DOI: 10.1039/c3cc47420h)
- Li, Jia, Hui, Yan-Chun, Li, Zongsheng, Sun, Hao-Ling, and Wang, Zhenqiang. Luminescent lanthanide-2-phenylpyrimidinecarboxylate, 6483-6490. Vol. 16. CrystEngComm , 2014. (DOI: 10.1039/C4CE00360H )
- Dai, Feng-Rong, Sambasivam, Uma, Hammerstrom, Alex J., and Wang, Zhenqiang. Synthetic Supercontainers Exhibit Distinct Solution versus Solid State Guest-Binding
Behavior, 7480-7491. Vol. 136. Journal of American Chemical Society, 2014. (DOI: 10.1021/ja502839b)
- Sun, Hao-Ling, Yin, Dan-Dan, Chen, Qi, and Wang, Zhenqiang. Europium Pyrimidine-4,6-dicarboxylate Framework with a Single-, 3582-3584. Vol. 52. Inorganic Chemistry, 2013. (DOI: 10.1021/ic302556r)
- Wu, Chia-Ming, Rathi, Monika, Ahrenkiel, S. P., Koodali, Ranjit T., and Wang, Zhenqiang. Facile synthesis of MOF-5 confined in SBA-15 hybrid material with enhanced hydrostability, 1223-1225. Vol. 49. Chemical Communications, 2013. (DOI: 10.1039/c2cc38366g)
- Dai, Feng-Rong, and Wang, Zhenqiang. Modular Assembly of Metal-Organic Super-Containers Incorporating Sulfonylcalixarenes, 8002-8005. Vol. 134. Journal of The American Chemical Society, 2012. (DOI: 10.1021/ja300095j)
- Garibay, Sergio J., Wang, Zhenqiang, and Cohen, Seth M.. Evaluation of Heterogeneous Metal-Organic Framework Organocatalysts Prepared by Postsynthetic
Modification, 8086-8091. Vol. 49, Iss. 17. Inorganic Chemistry , 2010.
- Wang, Zhenqiang, Tanabe, Kristine K., and Cohen, Seth M.. Tuning Hydrogen Sorption Properties of Metal-Organic Frameworks by Postsynthetic Covalent
Modification, 212-217. Vol. 16, Iss. 1. Chemistry--A European Journal, 2010.