About the Grad Plus Loan
The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan is a low interest rate, unsubsidized loan for graduate and professional students. The program allows a graduate student to borrow up to the cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid received.
Compare the Federal Plus Loan with other loan programs
You must be a Graduate or Professional student enrolled at least half-time in a degree granting program.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Apply for your maximum loan eligibility in Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans.
- Borrow as a graduate or professional student. Parents of graduate students will not be eligible to borrow the loan.
- Pass a basic credit check.
How to Apply
Annual Loan Limit
Borrower may borrow the difference between the total cost of the student's education minus any aid the student will receive.
- Repayment begins within 60 days after the final disbursement of each loan.
- The maximum repayment period is 10 years, and the minimum monthly payment is $50.00.
- You may be eligible to defer payments while you are enrolled at least half-time, unemployed, experiencing economic hardship or otherwise unable to make any scheduled payment.
The interest rate will be fixed at 7.21% as of July 1, 2014.
A loan fee of 4.204% of the principal amount is charged for each Direct Plus loan borrowed.