Please see our Scholarships Page for information about how to apply and audition for scholarships.
Statement of Philosophy
The B.F.A. Theatre Specialization seeks to prepare the student for entrance into the profession of theatre as a generalist and/or for graduate studies in theatre. Generalist training focuses on creating a well-rounded theatre practitioner who is not required to select any area of specialization. The emphasis is on providing a broad spectrum of courses that includes history, literature, performance, production and theory.
Prepare the student for a career in the theatre and/or graduate studies;
- Foster personal and creative growth;
- Provide the student with a process for analyzing a playscript;
- Provide the student with processes for 1) preparing a role for performance; 2) preparing a script to be directed; 3) preparing a design for a scripted play;
- Provide a broad-based foundation in dramatic literature and theatre history;
- Provide a broad-based education in theatre production techniques and practices;
- Foster an appreciation for the theatre.
- Students will demonstrate a broad knowledge and general skill in theatrical production techniques, including acting, scenic construction, costume construction, makeup design and application, playscript analysis, stage direction, and design.
- Students will demonstrate a broad knowledge of western theatre history and literature, including major periods and styles, significant individuals, and representative plays.