Graduate School International Admission Requirements:
The following items must be submitted before an International Application for admission can be evaluated:
- Graduate School Application: Complete the online Graduate School Application or you can download and print it.
Online Graduate Application
Printable Graduate Application
Please Note: F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant students can only study at the Vermillion or the University Center (Sioux Falls) campuses.
- Application Fee: An application fee of $35.00 U.S. dollars must accompany each Application for Admission. The application fee cannot be waived or deferred and it is non refundable.
- English Proficiency Test Scores: Proficiency Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 on the Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) or 550 on the written TOEFL is required for graduate admission. The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) Exam is also accepted with a minimum score of 6.0. The PTE Academic English Test is also accepted with a minimum score of 53. Students from English-speaking countries (UK, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand) are not required to submit a TOEFL score if their academic records indicate that English was the classroom language for the majority of their schoolwork. Foreign students who have obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree from an American college or university are not required to submit a TOEFL score.
- Official Transcripts: One official transcript of all academic work at the undergraduate and graduate levels with English translation. The USD Graduate School and/or academic departments retain the right to require an Educational Credential Evaluators/World Education Services (ECE/WES) evaluation for a student if such evaluation is deemed necessary.
Admission Test Scores: If test scores are required by a graduate degree program, the test score reports must be sent directly to the Graduate School from the testing center. The applicant may wish to upload a copy of the test scores when completing the online application.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required of applicants to most graduate degree programs; however, five letters are required for application to the Ph.D. program in Counseling and Psychology in Education through the School of Education and only two letters are required for application to the Beacom School of Business and to the transitional Doctorate in Physical Therapy program.
Letter of Recommendation Form
- Statement of Purpose: Applicants are encouraged to provide information about their reason for pursuing graduate studies, interest in research or creative activity relevant to their proposed graduate program, and goals for the future. Not all graduate programs require a formal statement of purpose and instead require supplemental information. If the program does not have a statement of purpose requirement, the applicant should submit a general goal statement as to why he or she wants to attend graduate school. Applicants can upload their statement of purpose when completing the online application or submit via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please Note: Permanent residents and American citizens whose first language is not English and do not have a degree from an American University, must also complete the TOEFL or IELTS for admission to the University of South Dakota.
Financial Ability Requirements:
Once you have been accepted to USD, your I-20 cannot be issued until you have proven financial ability. You must complete the Financial Ability Form and provide official financial documentation showing the amount of cost to attend USD. If the statement is not your personal bank statement, a letter from the person owning the bank account is necessary indicating that person will be sponsoring you. Please send the form and financial documents together. **To avoid delays, send the form and financial documents with your application materials.
Transfer from American College or University:
If you are transferring from another American college or university, please contact International Admissions at email@example.com.
Mailing Address for Application Materials:
University of South Dakota
McKusick Technology Center
414 E. Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069-2390
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Telephone: 605-658-6140 or 1-800-233-7937
If you have questions about the International Student Graduate Application process, please contact International Admissions at 800-233-7937 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.